Sump design

jrwhite07

Market
Reaction score
As long as I can get my vertex 180i out of the sump I'll be using a 55 gal under the 125 Im setting up. I believe that to be the biggest that will fit in that space? I currently have my return tee'd off to feed my refugium on my 75, would it be better to keep this configuration or tee off a drain to feed unskimmed water into the fuge? There will just be some live rock and chaeto mostly to grow pods and some nutrient export. Also if any one has any tips or pics of preferred designs feel free to share. As of now I'll do drain and skimmer, middle for return and far end for fuge

Go to
a> for design ideas.  He's one of the best out there and has no problem sharing designs.

Jrwhite07;1000355 wrote: As long as I can get my vertex 180i out of the sump I'll be using a 55 gal under the 125 Im setting up. I believe that to be the biggest that will fit in that space? I currently have my return tee'd off to feed my refugium on my 75, would it be better to keep this configuration or tee off a drain to feed unskimmed water into the fuge? There will just be some live rock and chaeto mostly to grow pods and some nutrient export. Also if any one has any tips or pics of preferred designs feel free to share. As of now I'll do drain and skimmer, middle for return and far end for fuge

Pretty much how I have mine. I have my drain and skimmer on one end, directly under the drains so I can maximize drain flow. That goes through baffles to my return, and then I have my fuge. I do tee off the return to the fuge so I can control fuge flow rate. Any reactors currently draw water from the return area and send it right back there as well.

Personally, I don't like the idea of t-ing off the drain. Don't ask my why lol! I just think the drain is critical to preventing a flood so I keep it as simple as possible. I run a herbie with a gate valve on the main drain and the emergency completely wide open, no valve. If my main drain clogs for any reason my emergency will easily handle the flow.

I have my 120DT drain tee'd off and valved. One drains into the fuge and the other into the sump. I can control the output and I get unskimmed water into my fuge. I know they say never put a valve on a drain and I agree in almost all cases. But, if my fuge drain was to become blocked then the other drain can still handle the volume of water without overflowing the DT. It seems to have worked effectively for over a year. I have a small CUC that keeps any diatrus that accumulates cleaned up.

Ok so the 55 will fit but no way I can remove my skimmer for periodic cleaning. I was considering building a 2x6 riser as I did for my 75. Could I cut the floor of the stand enough to sink the 55 in? Any issues this could cause?

Jrwhite07;1000752 wrote: Ok so the 55 will fit but no way I can remove my skimmer for periodic cleaning. I was considering building a 2x6 riser as I did for my 75. Could I cut the floor of the stand enough to sink the 55 in? Any issues this could cause?

Both options require more information or pics to determine. It all depends on how the stand is currently built.

Here is the riser I built for the 75 just to make it higher for viewing.
92B908D7-5030-4E2D-A8A4-CDA27B815583_zps8l3sdbkg.jpg
alt="" /></a>
Here's the stand from the back with doors removed
14B10E3C-7473-479A-8D45-F1C5183364EA_zpsvmrzcbxu.jpg
alt="" /></a>
Here's just showing the framing. Just a solid 2x4 framing skinned in 1/2 to 3/4 inch plywood
46E4588A-B825-4A5E-B49C-A1488975EF2A_zpsolrckpzt.jpg
alt="" /></a>

And these guys said hi. Sorry for all the blue just snapped a quick pic.
754625E4-DD0E-4CCC-ABD8-618FD87D110A_zpsozvmcwwi.png
alt="" /></a>

Back