SUMP idea. Needs help!!!

project1004

Supporting
Reaction score
I have decided to use two sump into one.
check out the pictures.

Sump from side by side... I need to figure out how I will get the flow from one side to another... Possibly having tall skimmer!!!! any suggestions?

2073ucl.jpg
alt="" />

This is how it will be set up
Front view

hrzvjp.jpg
alt="" />

Top view

52dp2d.jpg
alt="" />

Can you plumb the output of the skimmer into the other? I dont know how you would time it though

Edit: Honestly it would be easier to just buy a cheap glass aquarium and make the sump around the specs of the skimmer

Smallblock;633091 wrote: Can you plumb the output of the skimmer into the other? I dont know how you would time it though

Edit: Honestly it would be easier to just buy a cheap glass aquarium and make the sump around the specs of the skimmer

I was thinking maybe I can siphon or have pump... maybe raise the one in the back and make a hole? or hole on both and have pvc joint... any suggestions...

I am using these since I have it already... was going with one sump but I figure it could work...

Any reason why you wouldn't just use the better, single sump that you already own?

SHHHHHHH I want to buy it for my 150

Skriz;633101 wrote: Any reason why you wouldn't just use the better, single sump that you already own?

LOL... 2 Yugo < 1 Ferrari makes perfect sense...
I just wanted to have more water valume and more place to put things in the future...

BTW.... MRC sump I have for sale is way too big for my cabinet space.... wouldnt fit...
or it would be so nice... :doh:

Edit:
wmboots;633127 wrote: SHHHHHHH I want to buy it for my 150

PMed'

Set the left sump up on 2x4 to get it about 3-4 in higher up than the right then drill the end.

use one of the two sumps and run everything out of sump... (skimmer/reactors/return/etc)

blakejohn;633218 wrote: you can use a u-tube siphon. but it would have to be able to accomodate more flow that your return pump pushes and the two chambers that are connected together will always have the same water level and any subsequent chambers would have to have lower water levels.

thanks for the info... is there any link to someone who done this before...
seems like a new idea or something... and I know eveything im doing.. someone done it already... :doh:

Edit:
db366;633226 wrote: Set the left sump up on 2x4 to get it about 3-4 in higher up than the right then drill the end.

this is waht i was thinking of doing... love to see if someone has done something semilar...

Edit:
Rbredding;633252 wrote: use one of the two sumps and run everything out of sump... (skimmer/reactors/return/etc)

so you saying use just one... I am... but love to get both working... possible? thanks:shout:

I get it.. you want both working... but why?

if you want them both working... then figure out a way to set them up so that your flow doesn't all run through your refugium...
maybe
*flip the sump around on the right
*Raise the left sump up about 6", put an overflow bulkhead in the "short" side so that you can drain directly into the new return section (which will be in the short side of the sump on the right)

you'll drain from the left and right into the respective sumps and then skim on the left, refugium on the right, water will collect in the new return area in the middle of the new sump design..

that way you keep bubbles away from your fuge & your fuge has the opportunity to have slow flow (which it won't in your layout above)

does that help any??
(since you're just looking for someone to give you the answer you want to hear)

Rbredding;633298 wrote:
does that help any??
(since you're just looking for someone to give you the answer you want to hear)
Yes, this helped me so much!!! I think this will work... only that the fugium be small and return area will be bigger...

to clear something up... you say to put the overflow bulkhead in the bio ball chmber and have skimmer run next to the bio ball chamber. so the water from both bio ball chamber and skimmer chamber water will transfer to the another sump only thru the overflow bulk head in the bio-ball chamber. yes?!!? thanks:eek:

project1004;633312 wrote: Yes, this helped me so much!!! I think this will work... only that the fugium be small and return area will be bigger...

to clear something up... you say to put the overflow bulkhead in the bio ball chamber and have skimmer run next to the bio ball chamber. so the water from both bio ball chamber and skimmer chamber water will transfer to the another sump only thru the overflow bulk head in the bio-ball chamber. yes?!!? thanks:eek:
no, place the overflow in the skimmer chamber, draining into the sump on the right, (actually, two 1.5" or 2" bulkheads should probably be used..) the return section labeled, will be the same (return section).

it'll make more since if you post another picture... raise the sump on the left up at least 6"... and flip the sump around on the right... (both high sides of each sump will be on the outside.. and both low sides of each sump will be in the middle)

actually these sumps will be set next to each other instead of in long side by side...(check the second picture...)
I am still scraching my head... :blush:

oh...

then you're $crewed...

good luck trying to figure that one out..

(get a sump that handles your needs... )

Rbredding;633376 wrote: oh...

then you're $crewed...

good luck trying to figure that one out..

(get a sump that handles your needs... )

LOL... I think so too...
I am just going to use one of it...
Not both...
thanks all!!!!

Mr. MOD: please close this thread... thanks...:D

Back