Sump ideas for a 120g

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
My 60g cube is still running strong and im very happy with everything. I have always wanted slightly bigger and I pulled the trigger and bought a 120g with dual overflows. I have started the search for sumps and am trying to work out what is my best option.

I have the R-100 Eshopps refugium model on my 60g but I have never really used the refugium part of the sump. I could always get the RS-200 for the 120g and just run a standard sump. I could go the diy route as well but im trying to weigh effort vs dollars.

Any thoughts?

It kind of depends what skimmer you want to run as well. If you purchase a sump first with a smaller area, you might be limited on your skimmer options. With a 120g you have the option of a 40br, which is what I'd go with that way you have the 18" width and have endless skimmer options.

The MRC reef sumps are very nice. The fuge area is a optional section and could be used as a fresh water top off area as well. A bit pricey, but quality too notched. Advance acrylic has some great designs but I heard their craft an ship and service is horrid. If your good at DIY I would mimic a design you like versus trying to remake everything .

HiImSean;1005998 wrote: It kind of depends what skimmer you want to run as well. If you purchase a sump first with a smaller area, you might be limited on your skimmer options. With a 120g you have the option of a 40br, which is what I'd go with that way you have the 18" width and have endless skimmer options.

...or a 50 gal breeder, ...which I just happen to have for sale, already drilled with bulkheads ;)

I have thought about the 40br option, 50g would depend on how tall, not sure I have seen one.

A 40 breeder is 36 x 18 x 17 (approx. 35 x 17 x 16 inside), so

A 50 breeder is 36 x 18 x 21 (approx. 35 x 17 x 20 inside)

Back