sump in crawl space

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
I've got a crawl space under where I'm thinking of positioning my new system (130 gal display). I'd love to be able to use some of the area down there to put a big sump (like a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub or something) to greatly increase my water volume and fee up space in my cabinet for other stuff. Has anyone done this?

The main problem I see (aside from having to crawl in there if I have to do anything with that part of the system) is that the crawl space is not climate controlled. It gets pretty cold (40ish) down there in the winter and pretty warm (85ish) in the summer. Do you think I could get by just wrapping the sump in insulation? Or, would I need to "enclose" the space and push some air from the house into it?

agree, mold/ mildew and such. not to mention a PITA to get to it when you want to check it.

you would so sell everything after about a month or two having to deal with crawling down in there.

I'm not talking about an open sump so bugs and dust and such can get in. It would be a closed tank, and either insulated itself, or I'd enclose and insulate in some of the area and push air from the house in.

you might be able to work it out..

the major thing you've got to consider is access... will you have access to it? what if something happens and you've got to get into it? how easy will it be to open it up, make the modifications you want to do, and get it back up and running..

don't forget that in any tank that has a sump - the sump is where the water level changes. How easy will it be to keep an eye on the sump for topoff? what if a fish goes down the overflow, can you get it out?

you might be able to make it work, but I wouldnt think it would be very easy at all..

If I did it I would finish a section of the floor with concrete and put up walls. Make it a little room. If you're handy it wouldn't be terribly difficult.

Rbredding;563166 wrote:
How easy will it be to keep an eye on the sump for topoff? ?
Hey, how about putting on of those security cameras down there. They can be had pretty cheap. How would that be for cool?

It totally defeats the purpose of sump. The only sump benefits that it does accomplish is keeping extra water volume and possibly containing additional equipment out of the display tank.....

The rest if not already mentioned is a logistical nightmare, and risky. Too many negatives to list...

In short - Bad idea, but I can really appreciate you thinking outside the box and looking for alternatives from the norm.

If the OP is willing and able to do the proper prep work is it any different than those folks who have their tanks plumbed into a basement?

Rbredding;563181 wrote: ... only it's 4' tall and not 9'

The original post acknowledged this. Other than height, what is the difference? I'm kind of interested as I have thought about the same thing. But I rent my house so I'm not going to be cutting holes for the plumbing.

If you had the crawl space totally sealed from a comfort institute certified contractor it may be feasable, but I would not do it otherwise

If you wanted to put a camera on the sump. I have a sony evi d30 that will hook up to your comp and is remote control super high quality vid. I'll sell it

If done, the room could be decorated in a lunar theme. It be like watching a NASA feed

How about if it was a plastic 55 gallon drum (or two) set up like a closed loop canister tied into a small sump in the cabinet? That would solve the water-level issue, and there wouldn't be much reason to access it, except a great once in a while to flush it out.

still gotta regulate temp down there, weither it be in the water or having the space heated and cooled. It would work if you thought it out and did alot of work too it. I dont think the added volume would be worth it though jmo. If you want it that way go for it and have fun doing it!!!

MorganAtlanta;563197 wrote: How about if it was a plastic 55 gallon drum (or two) set up like a closed loop canister tied into a small sump in the cabinet? That would solve the water-level issue, and there wouldn't be much reason to access it, except a great once in a while to flush it out.

I could not see any reason that would be bad, as long as you can control temp and it is sealed. So where would you have a true "sump" to house all your equipment? Or would everything be in-line? Amazing if you do this...I would be terrified not to have all points of failure visible for easy inspection, however your idea could work as you stated it above. This is an interesting concept.....

On that note check out shadows 800 gallon build. It has an underground sump

Back