Sump Light/Bulb

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
What kind of light do you guys and gals put over your sump? I use a 100g Rubbermaid for my sump. It inhabits a clown, starfish, live rock and live sand. I have a 165w LED over it now but I want to move it up to the DT. I want to put something cost effective over my sump to give it some lighting. I'm also thinking of putting cheto or other types of macro algae in the sump. What do y'all use and what would be a good alternative to my LED?

A PAR38 LED from home depot.

I have 4 kinds of macro in my sump that grow like crazy. It's also powerful enough for coralline algae to grow. I've just now started experimenting with mangroves, so that remains to be seen.

I use a standard clamp fixture that cost about $6 and I think the bulb was around $20.

The fish obviously don't need light, and the colors are just for your viewing pleasure, but YMMV.

I use the reefbreeder macro algea bulb over my Chaeto chamber, a CF for Mangroves and a simple Marine Orbit LED over my Refugium.

I use a combination of a 6500K Par38 bulb with no reflector and a Stunner strip over my sump. The Stunner strip is more to light the entire area while the PAR38 bulb is pointed right at my refugium.

I've read mixed reviews, which is common in boards, but the overall senses I found is the Par38 bulb will grow different macro algae. Thanks for the input!

If you want pictures of what I keep under my PAR38 PM me a number or email.

I've been using the GE Bright Stick, soft white. Its and LED, 10w, 2700K and my macro algae never grew as well as with this bulb.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1073228=66455-Bright stick.jpg
>
1073228=66455-Bright stick.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Bright stick.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The most cost effective you can get is a two socket clamp light with metal reflector from home depot, and use two CF bulbs equal to 100w each.

It would run cool, give you plenty of light and cost you less than 20 bucks.

Back