Sump overflow - carpet cleaning suggestions welcome

miktrav

Market
Reaction score
Felt a wet spot as I was walking to look at my tank. To make a long story short I found that my sump had been slowly dripping water into the cabinet for at least the whole day. No wonder I had to top off with twice as much water as normal. Any suggestions for getting salt water out of the carpet? I'm not sure what to do, especially about the area under the stand.

Michael

My son was probably playing under the stand and knocked the cover back on the overflow compartment. water dripped up onto the cover and out over the edge.

If possible move the stand to a new temporary location. Pull up the carpet and cut out the wet pad. Put the carpet back down and clean it to get rid of as much of the saltwater as possible, be thorough. let it dry out completely. pull it back up to put a new pad underneath. put the carpet back down. move stand back to original location.

This is the only way I know to do a decent job. If you don't remove the pad it will mildew and possibly make you and your family sick.

DO NOT pull up any more of the carpet than is absolutely necessary, unless you have a carpet stretcher.

Back