sump question

nukieuk

Market
Reaction score
OK,

So I have a two compartment acrylic sump setup atm, water drains via an overflow box into the first compartment. Nothing else happens here, then in the second I have the oceanic skimmer that came with the setup. From here you have two pipes, one to the external pump and the other for return back into the tank.

My thought from looking around is this setup is ok for what it is, however if I want to add a refugium I will need more compartments. I am toying with a hangon on the back setup.

Thoughts comments please :)

Yes I know I am posting a lot :D

Ps: I do have a 30L just sitting here doing nothing but that would have to sit external to the setup as I have no room with current plumbing to expand the size of the sump.

Yes I agree the fact that its only two compartments makes me think I should either look at building an external or go with a HOB.

Problem is IMHO, a HOB fuge is pretty much worthless... Think about it, why do you want a fuge?!? You want it because: a) it adds water volume, and we all could use more water volume, b) to grow macro-algae, c) to grow pods and "bug" to feed your tank naturally, and d) some people use their fuges to have a deep sand bed that they do not want or can not have in their main tank.

So with the 4 above areas a HOB fuge falls WAY short. A) most are only a few gallons and that is not going to make a big difference in any size system. B) They are not big enough to grow large amounts of macro algae and thus fall short in nutrient export. C) Because of their size you can not run enough system water through them to feed a large growth of "bugs" nor filter your tank. D) They are too small for a DSB in most practical uses.

So I do not know why people get them? Maybe it is because they think it is enough or the LFS sells them on the CPR system. Whatever the reason, an external fuge would be 1000 times better!!

I was just thinking that was calculating the volume of a CPR large HOB and its tiny. I guess i could tap into my existing plumbing. I will have to give this some thought and then post a design plan.

The tank is tempered glass so we cant do that :( Already looked into that.

hmm since it wont let me edit the post,

Both the 90 and 30 are tempered glass so drilling is a no go. I am thinking we move the boys xbox and tv and make room for a fuge tank next to the main tank. Only thing I need to work out is how to hook it into the existing plumbing.

ok so next thing,

A 30 gallon long is that big enough for a fuge that would enable me to grow enough algae and pods for my 90? I think it should be ok for a dsb.

Ok,

So here is my plan for the fuge.

Currently my overflow is a single bulkhead. What I plan to do is replace that with a dual bulkhead CPR overflow box. This way I can have one draining to the sump the other going to the fuge.

My plan is install the new overflow, add a valve so i can control flow drop that a couple of feet from the box vertically then go along the back of the tank then down to the fuge. Once it hits the fuge run through the fuge then be recirculated back into the spare connector I have on the return past the skimmer. I need to see if i can look up the GPH on my pump thats external to the sump in-line. If its not upto par I am thinking I will add a mag pump in the fuge.

Thoughts?

Mark

OK further update on my fuge build out.

I have decided I will stick with the single flow box for now I will tap into the pipe with a valve above and below to control flow. Run a seperate pipe into the fuge. Replace the crappy way too thin plexiglass i picked up with stuff thick enough to handle the flow. Put a set of baffles in to seperate the mag pump I will buy to pump back into the sump and just go with that for now.

Its not ideal but it will enable me to have a reasonable dsb/fuge setup for now.

Back