Sump Questions!!!

william1

Market
Reaction score
So I have this idea about a little DYI to my wet/dry filter. Below are 2 pics first pic is what the sump looks like know and pic 2 would be after the DYI. This use to have bio balls in it but I replaced it with LR. Needles to say the LR is almost the same as the bio balls I had in there. Dont think it is any better so this is what I was thinking..

Theres a media tray in the top of the sump that has 50 little holes in it what if I took that out (its removable) and cut a circle in the middle large enough for a filter sock to slide in and be steardy. Then filled the holes around it. This way when the water comes back up to flow into the media tray all the water will thus far run into the sock. The media tray has a 1 inch lip on it so it would hold any water until it goes down through the sock. (HOPEFULLY)

The LR rubble in the sump sits on egg crate. If I removed the egg crate and put the LR in the bottom and added a plexiglass wall to create another chamber next to it on the right by the skimmer. Could even add some substrate as well. So come on all comment welcome cant really afford a new sump.

This way I could utilize a filter sock and have a fuge as well. Here are a few pics I came up with.

sumpbuild1edited1rc3.jpg
alt="" /></a>
sumpbuild2copylg4.jpg
alt="" /></a>
newpics100po9.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Sounds good.

I don't get the Live rock in the sump thing. Sure you may get a little sanctuary for some copepods. but a Macro algae Refugium makes a lot more sense to me. LR just seems to me to just creating a place for waste to collect and break down into DOCs.

dude dont do it a filter sock of not monitered is a disaster waiting to happen

I agree with Victor on leaving the filter sock off, but other than that it looks good.

Victor626nj;159376 wrote: dude dont do it a filter sock of not monitered is a disaster waiting to happen

A filter sock needs to be changed regularly and it needs to be planned so that the top of the sock is below the top of your sump so that when it overflows (and it will every few days 'cause you won't change it until you hear the water spilling over the top) the water just falls back down into the sump. It's only a disaster waiting to happen if you set it up wrong.

I never had a prob with filter socks, actually i beleive everyone should have one!

Filet socks are GREAT if they are setup right and change offten. Just because someone make a mistake using them does not mean they are not good.

i dont think they are talking about a pink sock ....... but yeah they are great if you dont forget about them thats when bad things can happen is all i was saying

Vittor I mean no offend. :D I trash my filter sock also, because I keep forgot about them all the time. Didn't work out for me either, but I would dismissed them id someone want to try them.

The media tray is fully cover with a top. When I first started using the sump with the filter media it also collects very fast and needs to be replaced. When it gets to full it starts to overflow over the sides so theres no mess. Plus I'm in front of my tank everyday so cleaning a sock wont be bad..

So heres an update of the sump since I added the filter sock. works great water is ten times clearer. I didnt do every thing I talked about I have a new sump coming soon...... I will take pics of all newly installed sump..
cimg1630bc2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1632cb1.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1631rh0.jpg
alt="" /></a>

So heres an update of the sump since I added the filter sock. works great water is ten times clearer. I didnt do every thing I talked about I have a new sump coming soon...... I will take pics of all newly installed sump..
cimg1630bc2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1632cb1.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1631rh0.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Back