Sump redesign

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
ok so i have a nice trigger systems sump. I really like it, but I feel that the compartment size is restraining. THAT is due that I have a small space for the sump underneath the tank.

My thought is this:
What if I plummet the sump to the side of the actual display and used the area underneath, where the sump is now, to simply house reactors and the like.

It would allow me to make a sump as large as I wan't and I wouldn't have to mess with these baby skimmers anymore (although I suppose I COULD run an external skimmer anyway).

I guess I would need a cover of some kind for it... the last thing I want is more surfaces to clean with a mag cleaner.

Just thinking aloud.
Any thoughts? suggestions? experience ?

I'd rather have reactors than the sump outside of the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MvM;1052230 wrote: I'd rather have reactors than the sump outside of the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This would allow you to visually inspect what's going on easier. Even if you are walking through the room for something else, you could sneak a quick peek.

Unless your basement has a lot of airborne particles why would you need a cover for the sump? I have seen plenty of basement sumps with no cover.

IMO, I would only move the sump if I could put it somewhere where it is easier to access that is out of sight (i.e. sump room, closet, etc...). I would not put it anywhere that would take away from the aesthetics of the tank. What's the point of having a beautiful display if you have crap laying all over the place around it. Not to mention all of the cables and plumbing.

On the flip side, would it not be better to figure out what all equipment you want and have a sump built around those, rather than having your sump limit your equipment?

Back