Sump replacement on running system

saltyreefer

Supporting
Reaction score
I decided to to a DIY sump on my first tank build. I thought I did a great job until today. The divider separating the refugium and the return compartment failed during a water change . Now I am getting sand running underneath the divider into the return. Not good for my pump I know. I would like to bite the bullet and buy a refugium and replace it. I know I can switch over the chato and I should get new sand. What I'm worried about is loosing all the algae growth on the walls. Am I going to hurt the corals? I was thinking I could razor the growth off and put it in a filter sock and put it in the new refugium? Any ideas??

Replacing the whole sump. So I will have to start over with sump and regugium. The tank had been up for three months.

Your original post was a bit confusing to read. You mention your sump failing, then change tack and start talking about replacing the refugium. I think you are using the terms sump and refugium interchangeably, and they are distinct and separate things. A refugium can be part of, and located within a sump, however. Not helpful to talk about replacing a sump when you are really wanting to replace a 'fuge, and vice versa.

You should have no issues replacing a sump with the display up and running. Take any macro algae you have and put it in a bucket of water. It will be fine for a couple days in there. Drain out your display until the water level is below the overflow level. Make sure you have some in-tank flow, and place a properly set heater in the tank on the inside front glass until you get your sump swapped out. You can keep your lighting schedule the same, unless it will heat the tank up too much, then either reduce or eliminate it for the time you will be swapping out the tank.

Remove all the water from the sump. Unplug and remove all equipment and hose connections from the sump. Pull the old sump, then put the new one in place, reconnect all equipment and you are done.

Not hard, really, just takes some time. Planning ahead with all holes drilled, all proper bulkheads in hand, and some new saltwater made up and ready to go all make the swap out go much smoother.

Back