Sump Room - Plumbing Questions

oldedb

Market
Reaction score
I am considering a sump room as my 120G DT sits over an unfinished part of my basement. My DT is dual overflow and I would like to plumb a 30G frag tank in to the same system and have it sit next to the DT. Some questions that I have:

1. Can I run 1 Drain and 1 Return and then T off in the room where the tanks sit? Or do I need to run 2 or 3 drains (2 for dual over flow and 1 for frag). Because I am going through the floor I would obviously like to run the fewest #. I am planning on ball/gate valves for flow control.
2. Looking for confirmation that 1" returns and 1.5" drains are appropriate
3. I run an APEX system I am envisioning an EB8 in the DT room and an EB8 in the sump room connected by a 15' Aquabus + 15' Aquabus extension (may not need 30 total feet). Will this work or is there a max distance on Aquabus?
4. Is there anyone in the Cumming/Alpharetta area that has a sump room that they would like to show off? It would be great to see one in person as I don't have a ton of plumbing experience.

Thanks!

I don't think there is a max distance on a single aquabus. I think their is a 200' total length limitation to all cables.

+1 Ringo

I cant remember the distance, but there is a limit on the bus cable length and you should never use a repeater cable to extend it. I have several extra bus cables I ordered and may some available in various lengths once I get my cabling sorted out the way I want it.

I have the exact setup your envisioning just a single overflow though to a lower fish room. Ill send you a PM.

a>   just in case anyone needs a really long aquabus cable. If you wanted to save some money, you could use a bunch of 15ft cheapies from monoprice.

The problem you get into when you run a longer cable without adding a repeater or signal booster is the signal degrades the longer the cable is. It opens up the possibility of communication errors. With the APEX you cant add a booster or repeater without blowing a circuit in your head unit. So they limit the distance the signal is guaranteed to pass through without any errors. Unfortunately, I cant remember the distance they allow for off the top of my head.

Back