sump set up

hcakebax1

Reaction score
I am building a new 90 gallon. I need some advice in how to set up the sump.

879632=46519-DSC01117.jpg
>
879632=46519-DSC01117.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC01117.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

This is the sump.

Edit: Sorry,

Should I put buiballs in the Middle.
5"7/8 I should put the Skimer
Last part I should do return

Edit: Thanks for you saltywater help.

Herb

Kind of a weird sump layout. There is no fuge and I don't understand the baffles on the right side at all

Skimmer - refugium - return

Or

Skimmer - return - remove the baffle on the right side (look up Berlin sumps)

Don't use bioballs, they are a nitrate factory. (They are an outdated technology)

do you think the baffle on the right side is that way to hold a deep sandbed or mud in the middle section?
Skimmer- fuge- return

I think the best way to use this type of sump is drain/filter socks - skimmer - return.
It would need bubble traps on both side to use a refugium in the middle area.

So I have seen your opinions. Now can I have and explanation using the diagram.

Thanks
Herb

Let's start by either making the right baffle a solid piece of glass 12 inches tall, or removing it all together???

CedzAquAddiction;879682 wrote: Let's start by either making the right baffle a solid piece of glass 12 inches tall, or removing it all together???
You mean covering tha hole of the rigth

Yup. Remove the gap in the baffle, and make it one solid piece of glass.

With the gap, your water level in your sump will still be 12 inches. The gap will only make that first chamber to the right null and void...

CedzAquAddiction;879685 wrote: Yup. Remove the gap in the baffle, and make it one solid piece of glass.

With the gap, your water level in your sump will still be 12 inches. The gap will only make that first chamber to the right null and void...
If I do that, That will be my return and the midle the sump.The left I put the skimer?

Yup. Either way... I'd put the sump in the middle, and as long as your return is on the opposite side than your drain, you should be good...

Have you already made the sump or are you just planning it? If you already have it can you get some pictures of it?

CedzAquAddiction;879691 wrote: Yup. Either way... I'd put the sump in the middle, and as long as your return is on the opposite side than your drain, you should be good...

Were the skimer in the begiing// sump// return

Also is the water moving right to left or left to right?

Your going to have a hard time find a skimmer to fit in a space less tan 6". They are out there but they are expensive!

Back