Sump set up?

nasa_tiger

Market
Reaction score
So had a question. First time setting up a sump and looking for advice on what I should put in. I will be running a 150 FOWLR setup. The sump is a 30 gallon acrylic sump where the in comes straight down through a filter and 2 chambers, then through a sponge into a second chamber. There is also a bulkhead leaving that chamber. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Pic attached
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1007901=58649-image.jpg
>
1007901=58649-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I have never used bio balls because of the bad rep they seemed to have when I was researching before I got into the hobby. So keep that in mind when I offer my advice.

I'd replace the bio balls with SeaChem Matrix and/or a Cermedia block. Keep in mind there are anecdotal reports that the Cermedia blocks may</em> leach some form of aluminum and people aren't even sure if the kind it might leach is harmful to corals. That being said I have never had measurable nitrates in my 60 cube and I blame the 8x4 cermedia block for that lol! Looks like a perfect place for one of those blocks though and if you're going FOWLR then the aluminum leaching is likely a non-issue.

Might go with an external skimmer so you don't have to worry about water level affecting performance in the return section.

What Jason said. I would certainly entertain an external skimmer for the simple fact that you haven't much room left after the bio section of the sump. Other than that...Matrix or Cermedia would be the way that I would go (with a prefilter on top).

Sooooo.... What is this hole on the bottom corner of my sump for?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

NASA_Tiger;1008108 wrote: Sooooo.... What is this hole on the bottom corner of my sump for?

looks like someone may have been using it with a bulkhead and an external return pump to me

Bio balls are fine for a FOWLR tank. They do require periodic maintenance as do most things in this hobby. If, however, you decide to turn it into a reef tank, it is recommended that you remove the bio balls and replace with live rock rubble or the other substances already recommended. The hole is to allow the connection of an external pump to the bulkhead. If you decide to use a submersible pump, simply plug the bulkhead fitting.

Back