Sump/skimmer room problem... what would you do?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
I went to install my "new" skimmer today, and it seems... it won't fit.
My sump is basically two compartments, one large and one small. To help the visual, the overflow is on the left in the large area, and return on the right in the small area.

Here are the facts:
1. The large compartment houses the pipe from the overflow, (into a box w/ rubble so it doesn't blow the sand up), a sand bed, chaeto, rubble, heater and pods.
2. The small compartment houses the return pump, and before, the skimmer.
3. The skimmer will not fit into the small compartment, that much is certain. The footprint is fine but with the fittings for the recirc pump it becomes a no-go. Even if I reconfigured the fittings (MAY create enough room), that would put the return in the 'fuge... with sand.
4. The sump will not come out of the stand for modification.
5. The old skimmer is not really adequate for this size, and another skimmer is financially out of the question.

The only option I see is to remove everything, and move the fuge stuff over to the small compartment, and house the skimmer and return pump in the large compartment.

However, I'm concerned about disturbing the sand. It has only been there since March, but I'm sure there's plenty of nasty there by now.

Should I totally remove the 'fuge sand and put the chaeto in a BB compartment? Should I move the sand, and run the skimmer for a period of time without restoring flow to the DT to get rid of what I stir up? Would that even help the nitrate spike I'd be creating?

The uni-seals are a little too leak-prone for me to feel comfortable with that, plus it would have to be in the floor as it won't fit in the stand.

ETA: stand, not sand.

Can you make a stand for the skimmer to sit just above the sand? Or will that be too tall in the stand itself?

Budsreef;352773 wrote: Can you make a stand for the skimmer to sit just above the sand? Or will that be too tall in the stand itself?

MAYBE. I need to do some measuring... but I thought a skimmer in a fuge was a no-no. Won't I just kill a bunch of pods with the pump?

Is the feed pump attached directly to the skimmer like an Octopus 200 or is it separate? If it is separate, put the pump in the return section and the skimmer in the overflow section on a stand if it will fit. Then you would only kill the same amount of pods as before.

cr500_af;352775 wrote: MAYBE. I need to do some measuring... but I thought a skimmer in a fuge was a no-no. Won't I just kill a bunch of pods with the pump?

Budsreef;352800 wrote: Is the feed pump attached directly to the skimmer like an Octopus 200 or is it separate? If it is separate, put the pump in the return section and the skimmer in the overflow section on a stand if it will fit. Then you would only kill the same amount of pods as before.

I can feed it through tubing; can't believe I didn't think of that. Off to measure!!!! Thanks for waking my brain up, Bud!

As long as raising it won't make the recirc pump run in the air, I'm good I think.

Back