Sump/skimmer

1percula

Market
Reaction score
I have a recirculating Octopus 110. My sump is too small to place the skimmer into, so I have it operating outside of the sump. My sump is split into 3 sections. My feed pump is set up in the middle section of my sump.

I also have the skimmer return dumping into the middle section of the sump. This is the question: Am I reducing the effectiveness of the skimmer by having the pump and return in the same section of the sump?

Or should I cut the return and make the water returning from the skimmer empty into the last section or 3rd section of the sump (on it's way back into the tank)?

My Tank is a 93 gallon. My return pump runs at 600 GPH. I have toned it down to about 400 GPH (my guesstimate) to reduced the noise in the overflow. I am getting a good bit of junk in my skimmer collection cup everyday. Should I leave well enough alone?

This is the question: Am I reducing the effectiveness of the skimmer by having the pump and return in the same section of the sump?

No,

yes, leave it alone

i am running the same skimmer...just make sure that you aren't putting tooo much flow to the skimmer as it is a resirc skimmer best if u runn low gph to the skimmer

I've always heard (and read) that you want the input water for the skimmer coming from the tank (many of the recirculating skimmer manufacturers recommend that you gravity feeding the skimmer from the drain instead of using a feed pump). That being said, I would feed the skimmer from whichever section the tank is draining to. The skimmer return could go back into any of the other two sections. On a side note, I've always found recirculating skimmer handy because I can use the skimmer return to feed other things (ie., separate refugium)

The risk of connecting it to the return pump section of your sump is getting air into your return pump. You may end up fighting microbubbles. I would leave it alone.

Back