sump

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
first off i would like to thank Joe(sailfish), Jcusmarine, and trey(treyeleven) for giving me all the things i needed to set up a sump.
adf018.jpg
alt="" />
adf025.jpg
alt="" />
adf026.jpg
alt="" />
adf027.jpg
alt="" />
adf028.jpg
alt="" />
adf029.jpg
alt="" />

Joe's legendary overflow box... When I first saw his tank and he told me it wasn't drilled I was amazed! I was thinking how could something so awesome looking not be drilled? haha

I don't think I could set up a tank without it being drilled...

Steve;262536 wrote: Joe's legendary overflow box... When I first saw his tank and he told me it wasn't drilled I was amazed! I was thinking how could something so awesome looking not be drilled? haha

I don't think I could set up a tank without it being drilled...
it would be better if the tank was drilled.

Yeah, but if you can get the overflow box to work well then it's not needed and you say space.

I'm going to bed.

heres a pic of the overflow
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
262774=14604-zoa 032.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
262774=14604-zoa 032.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="zoa 032.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

its awesome but the only problem i have is no matter what there is a big bubble in the top of the tube.

i tried that and i really dont need it to push alot more water, its at a good flow for me.

I would tap a small barbed fitting to the top of u tube. Run a small air hose to a power head and should almost be bullet proof incase of a power failure.

I had the same problem with air accumulation when I had my overflow box. I had airline tubing that I would put in there every week and suck out any excess air.

I would do my best to remove the air bubble, or one tube. If you have 2 tubes, you're only flowing have the water you would be with 1 tube, so the flow is slower. As water falls into the overflow box, it splashes and creates bubbles. With a single tube, the water is moving fast enough to carry the bubbles down the tube without them getting stuck at the top. With 2 tubes and the slower flow, the bubbles can build up and eventually break the siphon. The idea with the powerhead is another one that would work, but is unnecessary IMO if the overflow is set up correctly.

Since I have set up my overflow box, I have not lost siphon unless I was cleaning the box or working on plumbing and physically lifted the tube up, and there is no accumulation of bubbles at the top of my tube with 600+ gph running through it.

You might also want to try a pump with a higher GPH. I installed one of these in December and it arrived before the pump so I set it up with a smaller pump and had alot of problems with bubbles accumulating. As soon as I hooked the Mag pump up that had the exact flow at the proper head height that the overflow was rated to I haven't had a single bubble stick. I do see them in the inside box as water runs in through the teeth but they get sucked right through to the outer box every time now.

Well I wouldn't get one rated exactly the same as the overflow box. I would shoot a little under. With my Mag 9.5 and a 4ft head, I'm sure I'm close to the limits of my 800gph overflow box, but not uncomfortably so.

au01st;273200 wrote: Well I wouldn't get one rated exactly the same as the overflow box. I would shoot a little under. With my Mag 9.5 and a 4ft head, I'm sure I'm close to the limits of my 800gph overflow box, but not uncomfortably so.

Good point, I'm running a smaller tank with an overflow rated at 300 and the pump at somewhere around 275 with the current height.

Haha, that was my biggest concern when I switched to the 9.5 from my little Quiet One 2200. I sat there and watched the water level in the section for the return pump get lower and lower and lower and then it just stopped, lol. Big sigh of relief there as I was running late for work and didn't have time to plumb in a ball valve (still haven't). Waiting on a few more pieces of Locline to show up for a new return setup, ditching the spray bar...

Yeah definitely uncomfortable at first, but once you get it setup it's pretty low maintenance. I hooked mine up a week before leaving town for two weeks with a friend stopping by every few days. I must have turned the power strip that the the return pump was plugged into on and off 20 times to simulate a power outage and the sucker didn't lose siphon or add any bubbles once but I was still way paranoid while out of town lol.

i dont really want to add more flow for other reasons, but i am thinking of getting a little foam pad that will sit at the surface but if it clogs it will still let water enter.

You could also add an aqualifter pump for about 10 bucks to the overflow tubes, and have it constantly suck out air or water at the top. This is the best solution I've seen for an HOB overflow...

Back