Sump

cmjazz89

Market
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm putting in a 55g sump onto my 125g rr tank and I'm trying to work out the plumbing etc. I have pretty much everything and just want any opinions or suggestions, just in case I'm painting myself into a corner. Better to here about it now, than afters. Here's my design:
sump%20pic.jpg
alt="" />

So what ya think? I'm also thinking of adding a 25w uv sterilizer, but not exactly sure where the best place to add it. Thanks for all the help.

Dont see the design,but if you need some help let me know.Im not far from you in Ball Ground.678-454-3120 James

46bfinga;97072 wrote: Dont see the design,but if you need some help let me know.Im not far from you in Ball Ground.678-454-3120 James

Hmm.. can't seem to get the pic to display. We disable alot of feature in IE (thanks Security). I'll send you the pic. Thanks for the offer, I just may take you up on that.

Carlos

http://picasaweb.google.com/cmjazz89/SaltwaterFish">http://picasaweb.google.com/cmjazz89/SaltwaterFish</a>

hmm. that should point to the design.

Looks good! Throw some unions on your pump output,and on your drains/returns by the tank. Put a Ball valve on your output of the return pump as well and I think you would be good to go.Im guessing the check valves are for the returns and not the drains right?Just making sure!
Couple questions........Do you plan on using Filter socks or anything on your drains to catch big particulates from getting into your sump? Do you plan on using spaflex or PVC for your piping?

Yes incorporate a filter sock in there somewhere. Its best to have a UV close to your return pump with low flow and I highly suggest a UV. Ill be honest i am not a fan of your refugium design unless you restrict your ball valve so that there is hardly any water coming out, then it would be better but might effect the overalll function of your sump. IMO to get the full effect out of a fuge you need a seperate tank that overflows slowly back into your sump.

46bfinga;97099 wrote: Looks good! Throw some unions on your pump output,and on your drains/returns by the tank. Put a Ball valve on your output of the return pump as well and I think you would be good to go.Im guessing the check valves are for the returns and not the drains right?Just making sure!
Couple questions........Do you plan on using Filter socks or anything on your drains to catch big particulates from getting into your sump? Do you plan on using spaflex or PVC for your piping?

yeah the check valves are the triangles on the returns, I completely forgot about the socks. thanks. PVC is what I'm using for piping.

chrisjet;97111 wrote: Ill be honest i am not a fan of your refugium design unless you restrict your ball valve so that there is hardly any water coming out, then it would be better but might effect the overalll function of your sump.

restrict the ball valves where? I thought about a seperate tank for the fuge, and I still have a 10g that I could incorp, just thought this might be cleaner.

cmjazz;97128 wrote: restrict the ball valves where? I thought about a seperate tank for the fuge, and I still have a 10g that I could incorp, just thought this might be cleaner.

Install a ball valve under the T that is going down to the refugium,that way you can restrict the amount of flow going down on that one side.Your design will work,A seperate tank is ok if you have the room,but I think that your sump idea will work fine if you dont.

rlmblm21;97154 wrote: Your design looks exactly like the sump I built for myself a few years ago. I just had to share. (no negative comments please......)

Great design and build. I wish I had made my last 20GAL Sump into that design instead of the return section on the opposite end from the overflow. Nice refug!

Back