Sumps

izib

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">Right now I&#8217;m using a 75gal tank as a sump but have noticed some people using huge rigid Rubbermaid containers as sumps. Do you like those better? What about baffles? </span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">Also, does anyone have size dimensions? I&#8217;m about to build a closet around my sump area and want to make sure it&#8217;s big enough for the future.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">Zach</span>

I think they are used because they are big, cheap and proven. For baffles, I think most just use a container inside the rubbermaid. Effective and cheap as well.

or you could use the lid to the rubber maid and cut it to make it into a baffle, and glue to it to the inside of container. Although flimsy, on smaller containers it works great.

slayer77 wrote: or you could use the lid to the rubber maid and cut it to make it into a baffle, and glue to it to the inside of container. Although flimsy, on smaller containers it works great.

Im pretty sure he is referring to the rubbermaid troughs you get at tractor supply,not the flimsy ones at Wally world.No lids with the one at TSC.

Heres the one i got recently from a local farm supply.Dimensions are 72"x30"x24".

DSC04539.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04538.jpg
alt="" />

Heres a link to the ones at TSC.

detail.asp

slayer77 wrote: or you could use the lid to the rubber maid and cut it to make it into a baffle, and glue to it to the inside of container. Although flimsy, on smaller containers it works great.
As they bow out they seperate from the baffles. I know some people who build a frame around them, but that is kinda a pain. Much easier to just drop a bucket into the sump and use it as a baffle.

Oddly for baffles I use old 3 gallon kitty litter containers. They are square and stackable so putting one atop the other and removing a portion of the side of the outer and the bottom of the inner makes a very effective baffle. I've got a bunch of these things if anyone wants some.

46bfinga,
Thats exactly what I was talking about. How do you like using that? Ive been thinking about trading my my 75gal glass sump for one of those. It would be a lot easier to put bulkheads in.

izib wrote: 46bfinga,
Thats exactly what I was talking about. How do you like using that? Ive been thinking about trading my my 75gal glass sump for one of those. It would be a lot easier to put bulkheads in.

I like the one i got.It actually comes with a metal bar in the middle that you can install to keep it from bowing.You may be able to see it in the pics,its holding up the eggcrate,plexiglass and light in the center.I do plan on using some rubber truck coating on the bar to keep it from rusting or causing any issues.Overall i like it,but it will be slightly difficult if i decide to ever install baffles just because of the shape of the inside.The width of the tank gradually gets smaller as you get towards the bottom.With a little patience and the right tools it could be done.

Back