sun coral will not open up,

oryansreef

Market
Reaction score
I got a large sun coral a few weeks ago and it has not opened up (that ive seen). have covered with food and still nothing, not day or night. is there anything I can do for it I don't wanna see it die

Following i bought one from simon at nemos,he told me to feed it brine shrimp and it would open up in the daytime no luck so far day or night

When they're not healthy they won't respond to food. You can nurse it back to health by hand feeding it outside of the tank in a bowl of water. I did this with some dendros I got a few months ago. It is a pain in the but though :). Simply put a single brine shrimp or chopped up mysis pieces right on the mouth of each polyp. The polyp will slowly pull it in. Repeat every other day. Eventually it'll have fed enough to start extending regularly when you feed the tank and then you can just blow some food in their direction instead of removing from the tank to hand feed.

Yes. You put the food on each polyp mouth, whether they have their tentacles open or not. I used a little eye dropper to put the food on each closed polyp. This is why you have to pull the coral out of the tank and put in a small bowl. Any amount of flow will cause the food to slide off the polyp. The polyp should respond by slowly sucking the food in. Once it gets healthy then it will extend its tentacles to grasp food naturally during tank feedings and you no longer have to take it out to feed it. I still do simply cause I keep wasted food down by doing so.

How long have you had the Sun coral?

Have you checked it after it has been pitch black for hours?

Does it get any direct light during the tank's daylight hours?

It doesn't matter where you put it... It won't open up once it gets to a certain condition. Considering as well that they need to eat every few days or so... and it hasn't eaten in at least 2 weeks prolly more... it likely won't make it unless you nurture it back to health as I described for you above. Good luck.

2 days of pulling out and feeding, tonight it is opening up a little at feeding time. Thanks!!!

Here's a picture
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I've heard a good way to target feed them is to cut off the bottom of a two liter bottle, take the cap off, place it over the sun coral and feed it with a turkey baster through the top opening. It kills the flow and allows them to grab all the food.

Bcavalli;1105081 wrote: I've heard a good way to target feed them is to cut off the bottom of a two liter bottle, take the cap off, place it over the sun coral and feed it with a turkey baster through the top opening. It kills the flow and allows them to grab all the food.

I have tried that but snails and crabs get under it lol

FutureInterest;1105089 wrote: That's a huge colony! Glad it is working for u.
yes, I was at pure reef needing parts for my doser and saw it couldn't pass up a sun coral that big

It's partly open in the picture.

The soda bottle method works well until it learns to open on its own.

Nice colony. They are high maintenance but beautiful.

Jenn

Back