Supplements/Tests

izib

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I know there are a million thoughts on this and the reef aquarium water parameters guide is a great start but...</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">What do you test for?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I test for ph, ca, alk, and no3/4</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">What supplements do you add?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">CA reactor</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Also, what is the shelf life on a test kit?</span></span>

i only test for nitrates, and dose with pool calcium, seachem reef complete and alkalinty buffer. I should be watching it more carefully but as long as everything is looking good , i just assume its good to go. Some would consider me a wreckless reefer :(

pH, KH, NO2, NO3, Ca, Mg, PO4. I at least run those monthly. I don't see the point in testing calcium witout also checking alkalinity and magnesium. Magnesium is the foundation for balanced calcium and carbonates. I'll check NH3 if there's anything that looks off in the tank.

DannyBradley;85997 wrote: I don't see the point in testing calcium witout also checking alkalinity and magnesium..

Ca and Alk are used up in standard ,1:5 ratio, so if you started the system at a desired point, you only have to check one to make sure both are in line, doesn't mean you should never check the other, but it is adequate to check just one to see if other is okay.
I like to check alk, since the change is in higher magnitude. Exceptional alk utilization is a clear indication of low magnesium, not always but most times.... hard to miss a recurring snow storm.

On occasions I may do some frantic testing, but normally these are my schedule....

alk 3-4 times a week. daily/twice daily when dialing in a CaRx.
Ca twice a month.
Mg couple of times a year.
NH3 never have...
No2 never have...
No3 twice a month...
PO4 twice a month...
K+ once a month...
pH/ORP - glance the meters when I remember.

ph & orp-daily (controllers)
Ca- once a month (lately once a week)
Alk- once a month

I will start testing PO4 and Mg as soon as the test kits arrive.

I run a CA reactor & dose kalk.

I'm kinda like chris, if everything seems to be okay and smells okay, I let it roll. I know, I'm lazy and wreckless...what can you do? :)

DannyBradley;86089 wrote: Don't forget to account for percipitation. 100:5:0.1, Ca:Mg:Sr, btw...

Precipitate as what?

For 100ppm of calcium to precipitate(biologically/abiotically) you will lose 250ppm (14dkh) Once your Ca level goes below 350, no precipitation will ever happen fast, cause Mg will inhibit it which will still be good since only 5ppm is lost.
So for Mg to become a problem, It need to drop from 1390 to 890(just to keep the math easy for me), that is 500ppm, for which we need to lose 10,000ppm of Ca which will bring the alk drop to 250,000ppm which is 14,000dKh, at the height of my SPS tank (with a lot of coraline) I was using about 2dKh a day so I am looking at 7000 days without water changes.... and assuming my replacements have zero Mg( which is not true), I think you will have a lot more problems....
So again to illustrate my point, all one needs to do is measure alk or Ca to check if everything is ok... and there is no need to check all three all the time.

Back