Surface agitation question

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
I’m sitting here looking at my DT and feel like the water surface isn’t getting enough agitation, just small ripples. I don’t want to move my existing gyres because my corals like the flow they’re getting. Should I turn my return pump higher or get an additional power head for greater surface agitation?

I wouldn't do that but you can point the return lines more towards the surface. That by itself should be more than enough.

Surface agitation is good for gas exchange but if you're running a protein skimmer, you'll be getting plenty of surface area for gas exchange. The main reason I like a decent amount of surface agitation it to get rid of the 'film' that sometimes builds up on the surface.

I’m sitting here looking at my DT and feel like the water surface isn’t getting enough agitation, just small ripples. I don’t want to move my existing gyres because my corals like the flow they’re getting. Should I turn my return pump higher or get an additional power head for greater surface agitation?
I’ll check it out tomorrow Nancy.

Could be enough, depending on surface in sump also. Let Shawn look at it and get a second opinion.
Sump surface is zero. Can’t even tell water is flowing through. I used to have a small powerhead in there but was told not necessary

Surface agitation is good for gas exchange but if you're running a protein skimmer, you'll be getting plenty of surface area for gas exchange. The main reason I like a decent amount of surface agitation it to get rid of the 'film' that sometimes builds up on the surface.
Yes, that is what I’m staring at, film. It’s not pretty

The film in your display should be heading down to the sump since you have an overflow. You’ll just have to find a flow pattern on top that will lead it to your overflow. It could just be the slightest adjustment to your output or powerhead. Just having surface agitation wouldn’t help if it doesn’t move the film.

The film in your display should be heading down to the sump since you have an overflow. You’ll just have to find a flow pattern on top that will lead it to your overflow. It could just be the slightest adjustment to your output or powerhead. Just having surface agitation wouldn’t help if it doesn’t move the film.
Thank you. The whole flow thing is tricky to me.

Yeah it definitely is. I had trouble with my current newer setup too. Got it to where I wanted for corals and sand not blown away but film not going into sump. It’s just something to play around with and make little adjustments and see where they lead

@silentdeath5 is on point. In my display, the MP40 ends up pushing the surface away from the overflow and I can get a film on what is the right side of my tank. Whenever I notice it, I turn of the Vortech for 20 minutes or so and that cleans it right up. I've messed with it and can't find a better solution. My guess is that there is a powerhead or pump that causes the surface water to flow away from the overflow ever-so-slightly. After a few days, the film shows up. You can test this by looking at the film and turning off any powerheads or other flow creating devices in the display. When I do this, you can literally see the film start slowly heading towards the overflow and eventually getting pulled down.

I added an extra pump towards my overflow to turn on to agitate surface and push any film if it forms to the overflow. Only use when needed and it is there because I’m lazy 😉

I added an extra pump towards my overflow to turn on to agitate surface and push any film if it forms to the overflow. Only use when needed and it is there because I’m lazy 😉
Let me know when you feel safe to have guests. I’d really like to look at your plumbing again since it spans 2 levels 🙂

Let me know when you feel safe to have guests. I’d really like to look at your plumbing again since it spans 2 levels 🙂
You don’t want to do as I did because our plumbing run is ridiculous due to the way our house is configured. You want to go straight up from your basement with minimal turns and through your floor. The more bends, the stronger the pump you need to get flow you want. Put your water station as close to directly below your tank as possible. Figure out where your water supply is that is as close to under your tank as possible. Set your RoDI and mixing station there. And run your feeder lines straight up. You can get really fancy when you upgrade your tank and put your sump in the basement later on :).

We are putting it in the basement bathroom where we had removed a jetted bathtub. We have the bathtub drain for RODI waste water and both hot and cold water supply. Now that everyone has moved out except us and Trevor I’m thinking of pulling out the vanity and putting in a utility sink and just making it our fish room. It was our master bedroom but we are making the entire top level into a master suite. Our house is weird. It’s 2500 sf but it’s all chopped up between 3 levels. The main level is smallish and we’re filling the little bit of space we have with fish tanks lol

Back