Surge device

grouper therapy

Supporting
Reaction score
I just finished construction of a surge device and am loving the results. Is anyone else running one and if so how do you like it?

C'mon tease. We wanna see pics.
What way did you go about doing it? I have seen different diy methods. Can't wait to see yours

I made a mini twin surge device for an Oceanic 58 gallon RR tank I had back in 1996. These emptied straight back into the tank. Cool to see, but lots of microbubbles. Real simple design that was basically a mini Carlson model that was popular at the time. Even got pictures of it printed in the June 1996 edition of FAMA (Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine) as part of an article I wrote for them.

Smoothie;514773 wrote: C'mon tease. We wanna see pics.
What way did you go about doing it? I have seen different diy methods. Can't wait to see yours

Sorry, not allowed to post pics on here due to it's location.
But I will tell you that it is the original Carlson surge device design . The thing I did differently was adding a 4' long spray-bar that sends a tremendous wave down an 8 ' anemone propagation tank. They actually love the surge. It surges a total of 50 gallons during each event. There are about 50 clowns in the tank and have already got the timing down for the next wave as they start lining up prompting for it .Kinda cool to watch.

grouper therapy;514801 wrote: Sorry, not allowed to post pics on here due to it's location.
But I will tell you that it is the original Carlson surge device design . The thing I did differently was adding a 4' long spray-bar that sends a tremendous wave down an 8 ' anemone propagation tank. They actually love the surge. It surges a total of 50 gallons during each event. There are about 50 clowns in the tank and have already got the timing down for the next wave as they start lining up prompting for it .Kinda cool to watch.

I need to go to this location and check it out. You gonna be there this weekend??

We've had one in the shop on one of the coral tanks for about 5 years now.

It does make bubbles, but so do ocean waves. SPS love it.

Simple 5-gallon bucket with a siphon tube. Fed by a Mag 5 pump. It also has an emergency drain.

I think it dumps about every minute or so.

Jenn

I'm thinking of putting a small one on my frag tank but it would have to figure out baffles and such. Do you think it would be worth the effort Dave?

I think so Collin Like Jenn stated they are are actually pretty simple if you have the space.

JennM;514805 wrote: We've had one in the shop on one of the coral tanks for about 5 years now.

Simple 5-gallon bucket with a siphon tube. Fed by a Mag 5 pump. It also has an emergency drain.

Jenn
Hey Jenn
What pump are you using and what size is the siphon pipe?

I think the pipe is 2". There's an emergency drain too that's 1" I think... I don't think it would be enough to drain the thing on its own, but if something happened to slow down the siphon pipe, it's there as a failsafe.

Been running it for 5 years now - knock on wood, no problems. It's a pretty simple device, not a whole lot can go wrong with it.

(OK now I've jinxed it...)

Jenn

grouper therapy;514801 wrote: Sorry, not allowed to post pics on here due to it's location.
Ok...you're right...no pics.

We need a video of this in action!!!! Post it up to YouTube and become internet famous...just like
watch

So send me the pics and I'll put 'em in my photobucket account... I want to see this! The alternative is for me to pay you a visit... hosting the pics would be less painfully boring for you! :D

JennM;514805 wrote: We've had one in the shop on one of the coral tanks for about 5 years now.

Jenn

Yeah, I just don't get all the room given to threads about the dreaded 'microbubbles'. As long as they don't obscure my view or lead to a lot of salt creep when they pop, I really don't have a problem with these.

Well I think people *are* bothered by the reduction in clarity that bubbles cause. Otherwise there's no real reason to be fearful of bubbles.

We do get salt creep from our surge and the resulting fizz, but that's just what it is, and we wipe it.

Our setup probably isn't practical for most home tanks, but we like it on the prop tank. The corals seem to like it too :)

Jenn

I'm working on a device that will remove "most" of the bubbles. The one I built only surges about every 8 minutes so the bubbles are not visible that often. My plan is to experiment on this tank and then try it on my tank at home:thumbs:

You're welcome to come and take a look at ours, Dave. You've probably seen it before, but didn't "look" at it.

I call it the flushing toilet... because it "flushes" every minute or so.

JennM;515191 wrote: You're welcome to come and take a look at ours, Dave. You've probably seen it before, but didn't "look" at it.

I call it the flushing toilet... because it "flushes" every minute or so.

Thanks Jenn
I actually remember it pretty well. I used the idea of the hole that you guys drilled in the pipe to reduce the bubbles on the surge. I assure you if it was some noise or water moving I noticed, I think I hindered Brian asking questions about! I can't help myself. But thank you very much for the offer. I believe Kevin at warehouse has a large surge device as well on his pool.

Back