Surging Standpipe Basement Sump

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I've started this thread to keep from hijacking corvettecris' thread since we have the similar symtoms but probably different causes.

My situation is:

120G with dual megaflow overflow durso kits. The overflows leave the tank through the 1" bulkheads, go through 1" ball valves, then 1" unions, and then open up to 1.25" spa flex which goes down to the basement where they both come to tees. One continues straight down to a reducer to 1", a gate valve, then reduced to 3/4" and then goes into my skimmer. The rest of the tee goes to the sump via another tee which has a pipe going up to release air and one going down for the water and ends under the water. The other does the same thing except it drops down to a gate valve that leads to the refugium and the rest of it goes to the sump via another tee with the same set up as the other.

I wouldn't care so much about the surging, but it raises and lowers the level of water in my sump which is keeping it from skimming.

The air is probably building up in the skimmer leg. asir vent that line too.

I would think how far your dropping increases the problem. In a way the siphon adds depth. Kinda like how a bulkhead will flow more the further under the water it is. The added weight of the water creating the a siphon does the same thing. I would open up the vent on the durso myself because its may not be enough with how far your dropping

Back