Swapping out 210

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
It looks like I need to replace my 210 with a new tank. I noticed that the bracing cracked and that there is a fairly significant bow in the front glass. I'm very concerned that the seal will break and I'll end up with a leak or even worse a complete failure. This is going to a real pita so thought I'd solicit ideas from the group for those of you that have had to do similar jobs. I'm limited to the current location of the tank so I'll have to replace it in the same spot. Here is what I am thinking about doing.
1. get a large rubbermaid black tub to move the majority of the live rock, coral and fish
2. Empty out the current tank and transfer to tub, put a few powerheads and heaters in the tub
3. Turn off plumbing and rework sump (this system has 5 other tanks attached)
4. Drain and empty 210
5 replace 210 with new tank
6. Reattach plumbing for returns and supply to 210
7. Add new sand and water
8. let cycle and filter out sediment from sand
9. Turn back on plumbing
10. Add back rock, coral, fish

I am hoping i can complete the swap in two weeks.

what am i forgetting?

anybody have any of the large black rubbermaid stock tanks available?

not looking forward to this!

BZ

I'd build a wood bracing for a temp thing until you get around to this. 210 gallons is alot of water.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I would also try to use as much of the current tank water you can for the new tank rather than replacing it all with new water.

bobz;937226 wrote: It looks like I need to replace my 210 with a new tank. I noticed that the bracing cracked and that there is a fairly significant bow in the front glass. I'm very concerned that the seal will break and I'll end up with a leak or even worse a complete failure. This is going to a real pita so thought I'd solicit ideas from the group for those of you that have had to do similar jobs. I'm limited to the current location of the tank so I'll have to replace it in the same spot. Here is what I am thinking about doing.
1. get a large rubbermaid black tub to move the majority of the live rock, coral and fish
2. Empty out the current tank and transfer to tub, put a few powerheads and heaters in the tub
3. Turn off plumbing and rework sump (this system has 5 other tanks attached)
4. Drain and empty 210
5 replace 210 with new tank
6. Reattach plumbing for returns and supply to 210
7. Add new sand and water
8. let cycle and filter out sediment from sand
9. Turn back on plumbing
10. Add back rock, coral, fish

I am hoping i can complete the swap in two weeks.

what am i forgetting?

anybody have any of the large black rubbermaid stock tanks available?

not looking forward to this!

BZ

While this will be a challenging project, I think that you have an excellent plan in place to move everything to the new tank. My suggestion would be to wait till the weekend and try to get everything moved over as quickly as possible (2 days or so). Here are some minor suggestions:

1) This may be my own personal experience, but I find that fish and corals do better when you transfer them to another tank rather than a stock tank/ rubbermaid. I know that you mentioned that you had 5 other tanks attached to the sump.... do you have room to move the corals/ fish there?

2) New tank prep - I would suggest making 100 gallons of new water and retaining 100 gallons of old water to for the new tank. When I have done projects like this in the past I have reached out to the ARC to borrow stock tanks for the move.

3) Sand - Sounds like you have the right idea on replacing all of the sand. If you are not using live sand, you can do a good bit of rinsing to decrease the amount of time it takes the tank to clear. If your system is tied to other tanks, your new sand bed will be seeded very quickly.

thanks guys... appreciate the help. All good input. I spent the weekend working on the tank and now have it braced with some clamps so I think I bought some time. I should have mentioned the whole system is around 450G so swapping out the 210 will be around a 50% WC. I'm thinking I'll take this opportunity to change my sump configuration at the same time. I'll move as much of the coral and livestock in to the existing tanks and I'm going to plump in another 55g so I think i'll end up having only to put the live rock in to a Tupperware for a while...
thanks Jeff, Brandon, Declan ...
Bob

Bob I have some stock tanks you can borrow. But I am a ways from you. I even have an 75 gallon corner acrylic tank RR you can borrow.

Regardless of what you do or how you do it start early enough so when you do run into problems, and you will, there is a fish store open for emergency supply's.

Back