SWC - The Best Skimmer?

greenhut

Market
Reaction score
Saying something like "Best" for most people implies value, and value is relative, but there is a new skimmer out which I suspect for some time will be the "best" choice for many. It is very early to speculate about these skimmers since it is so new, but be sure to have a look and you'll see why.

The new skimmer line is from SWC, and is a meshwheel design similar to models from Bubble King and ATI. All models utilize Sicce pumps and a bubble plate. Initial reports from users that have received their units claim good build quality.

I pre-ordered the MSX250 in December. The first units have just started shipping/arriving. I expect to get my 250 in the next few days. I suspect the first production run will sell out (just speculation...), so if you are interested and need a skimmer, now may be the time.

There are three models, ranging from $300-$500. Not cheap, but hundreds less than similar models with the same pump(s) from other vendors.

Right now, the only place I know of to get them is:
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Skimmers/c22_48/index.html">http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Skimmers/c22_48/index.html</a>

Here are some excellent pics of the MSX250 I ordered:
[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1287102">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1287102</a>

I'll be sure to post my results once the unit arrives, but users are already posting early findings on ReefCentral.

jeff

Jeff, I think your right on the value aspect of this skimmer it pretty awesome. I don't think any "bubble pump" type skimmer will come even close (the new poor/smart? mans BK)

That said I See two potential problems. ( really not problems just something to talk about)

One is with reefers and how we size skimmers. This is not a bad problem but we may learn over time that many of us got the wrong size skimmer for our tanks.
In a nut shell we may find the smaller 200 may actually perform better on a smaller tanks 150-300 gallons (pullout more waste without pulling allot of water with it) than its bigger brother. not a big problem but neck size, width & height has more to do with bio load than we are giving credit.
I believe the interface between bubble and water has the most to do with skimmer performance than any other skimmer function. The interface in the 200 and the 250 are the same ratios. One just process more water than the other...
With the ATI I think this was a big issues. They made the BM 250 for tanks 500-800 gallon tanks. We put them on 200 gallon tanks and did not like the wet skimmate. So they tweaked them to fit what the customer wanted.

Pump reliability is the other question. IF these pumps fail will the Importer Marine Solution or SWC stand by them? Are they going to mod them Conservative enough so that they start every time...

Quality of the acrylic, warranty and "newness" would be my three main concerns with this skimmer. The Sicce pumps have proven capable in the air pulling category, but as mentioned by Roland not the best starters out there so they may have to sacrifice intake performance for long term durability. Being these are a new skimmer, who knows what the first ones will have problem wise. The ATIs were very problematic at first and it really hurt them redesigning every couple months. The DAS line of skimmers were very hard to get fixes under warranty at first but they have since ironed that problem out.

Are they the best? Right now I would say no since you have to be a guinnea pig. Long term will they be a great value skimmer... probably. The best? Again depends on how you quantify that. There is likely always a skimmer that can outperform this one it may just cost an arm and a leg. Us skimmer fans are VERY hopeful however. They have a good design, have a good pump and have a good price.

Well my 250 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.... The 250 model is now sold out and unavaialable for 6-8 weeks.

Roland - Why would the smaller model potentially remove more waste on a smaller tank? I can see why the smaller model might just work better, but I think your point must have to do with waste conentration? I suppose it is possible that it could remove more highly concentrated waste, but can't see more... You also indicate that the 200 and 250 are the same size - are you referring to ATI? In the SWC lineup, the 250 has a 10" body and is 24.75" tall while the 200 has an 8" body and is 22.75" tall.

The reason an oversized skimmer might not be as effective has to do with the size of the neck and the ability to form a "head of foam". A larger skimmer usually means a larger neck. If there isn't enough organic material available in the water column to form a consistent foam the width of the neck, it will have problems moving anything up the neck and into the cup. You can still skim with an oversized skimmer but you'll need to skim "wet".

Mufret, hit that neck on the head.:confused2:

I don't think i said the 200 and the 250 are the same size. i said they had the same ratio of air two water going though the skimmer.

If the air to water ratio are the same
One pump, 1000 LPH air : 2000 lph water
Two pumps 2000 LPH air : 4000 lph water

And the dwell time is the same which they are close (i think the 200 may have more dwell) (i think dwelltime has been over rated) that pretty much means the same amount interface between the 2 skimmers (per pass through the skimmer). So the main benifit of the larger 250 will be if you have a larger bioload. then add what Mufret said about the neck. This is just my theory

What happened to my spell check?

Well the 250 arrived today, and in my zeal to test, I neglected to take any photos. It is now in my sump, so other than action pictures of skimmate, pictures won't be too interesting.

The build quality of the SWC is outstanding - much better than I expected. It is very solid - comperable to my old Euroreef, and WAY nicer than my ASM G3. Time will tell how it skims, but so far it looks like it will kick ***. Some minor complaints:

The air tubing is very thin and kinks easily.

The Sicce pumps are finicky. They come from SWC without the volute
clamped down intentionally to insure proper spin up.

No directions. Yeah, pretty starightforward, but there are a few things that are not obvious - a small insert for the pump intake, direction/placement of the air intanke nozzle, etc.

jeff

Jeff you got yourself a great skimmer. i'm trying my hardest to justify buying another skimmer.

What was finicky? the start up?

Roland Jacques;120275 wrote:
What was finicky? the start up?

Yes - exactly. Apparantly this is typical for these pumps. As an example, if the air hose is not inserted and open, the pump makes some unpleasant noises. I have not had one fail to startup yet, but several online have.

jeff

Here is Another Best-es skimmer? coralvue Octopus pro 900lph NW. but you got got to love the pump. very simular to the Red Dragon
so
Octopus20Pro20pump.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_1583.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_1581.jpg
alt="" />
Octopus20Pro20neck.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_1595.jpg
alt="" />

Yeah - looks like it will be a great skimmmer. I saw an estimate of $450 for the 8" model, amd may start shipping next week.

Yep, Coralvue is modding the Laguna pumps (the basis for the Red Dragons). There was a huge thread on DIYing both the Laguna and the Sicce pumps a while back. Seems the manufacturers were paying attention!

Cameron;121306 wrote: Is this the same as the Octopus Premium Extreme?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CV-EXT-150&Category_Code=Octopus">http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CV-EXT-150&Category_Code=Octopus</a>[/QUOTE]

No, this is the PRO not released yet (That i no of). Soon

Back