T-5 lighting help

mkinna1

Market
Reaction score
Will 6 T-5s over a 125 be enough light for SPS throughout the water column. 4 of them will be driven at 100 watts a piece. Give me your thoughts. 2 super atinics 2 reef blue a reef white and the other is just a blue bulb.

Not at all yet I was going to put 8 across the top, but after I built the top there is not enough room! I might just have to revert back to halides.

How are you going to overdrive the four 36" lamps to 100 Watts? and are you going to use good parabolic reflectors?

I would say no also..I have 8-22" t5's with good reflectors on a 29 gal. they reach corner to corner. I do get good light, but I wish I had a MH. I can maintain acros at the very top, but not make them flourish.

100 watts way to much>?? I have had birds nest and montipora under 4 t-5 for about 4 months with good growth. All of the nicer stuff is under a 250 halide but didnt want to deal with those any more. I like the T-5s

I know Big D is using 8 T-5s over his beautiful tank but I am not sure what he is using, but I will have to find out.

Ive never heard of any 39 watt HO t-5 lamps being able to be driven at 100 watts. I believe a 660 Ice Cap Ballast will drive them up to 60 Watts ea. The max a IC ballast can drive 48" is 85 Watts.

If theirs a new way of getting 100 watts to a t-5 lamp then maybe you can get the PAR you want. other wise your light will be on the low side. for acros in the intire tank

I have a 1.5 year old 125g with 4 rows of T5's (8 - 36" 39w with 2 per row). I have SPS in the tank but pretty much only at the top and they are just doing OK (fair growth and OK color).

My PAR max. is in the 550 range at the top of the tank but this was only when my system was new. My PAR has dropped to about 465 at the top with my SPS only getting about 250. This is mostly from dirty reflectors as I can clean them and the PAR will go back up about 80 points.

I would like to see around 300-500 PAR where the SPS are placed. I have room for two more rows of T5's and am planning a lighting upgrade. I have thought about (and have since purchased) adding metal halides to my system instead of more T5's as I really miss the shimmer. :unsure:

I would think the 6 rows of T5's would work for me but my situation is a little bit unique as I have a motorized canopy that has put some limitations on my lighting options. If you can completely optimize your T5 system it will probably work quite well for you. Here are some key things to look at to really get a T5 light systems peak performance:

<ul>
<li>bulb selection (best of Geissemann, UVL, ATI)</li>
<li>close to the water (4" away max)</li>
<li>protect the reflectors (starfire glass tank covers)</li>
<li>active cooling of the lamps (fans)</li>
<li>distribution (pack the canopy full)</li>
</ul>

Assuming this is a retro, I would use 36" bulbs on the 54w 48" ballast and buy two more 36" lights with a ballast. That would give you 8 bulbs and room for 2 more later on.

Back