T-5 Question?

genesis

Market
Reaction score
So I wanted to know what is the longest length T5 bulbs? I have a 84 inch length tank that I'm running three of the Chinese LEDs but I was considering in the future supplementing 2 T5 bulbs in my canopy. Also any suggestions on how I would retrofit them inside? I wanted one on the front and back of the canopy , in the space outside of where the LED's sit.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1029323=61221-image.jpg
>
1029323=61221-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

porpoiseaquatics;1029325 wrote: I think 60 is the longest you can get but they are hard to find and expensive.

Would there be a way to run 2 36 in bulbs length wise to create a 72 total. If so I could do that and have 4 36 inch tubes (72 in the front and back)

porpoiseaquatics;1029344 wrote: Most LFS's don't carry 60" bulbs. Sure you can order them.
Yeah the closes lfs is like an hour away from me so I order everything online.

DavidinGA;1029405 wrote: Yeah the closes lfs is like an hour away from me so I order everything online.

Aquarium specialty caries them for a decent price and you get the ARC discount

I ordered some the other day and they all arrived broken (directly from ATI)

I heard The Fish Store has them. Try to get them local if you can and save yourself a headache.

Thanks for all the info. So I'm not all that familiar with how T-5's work but from the little research I've done on how to retrofit them. You have a ballast that is the power supply and you wire it up to the bulbs and have reflectors? Ideally I'm going to go with the 4 36 in tubes. 2 in the front 10000k bulb and 2 in the back will be actinic or a purple.

plug -- ballasts -- endcaps

individual reflectors will make a big difference, instead of one big bent piece of metal around all of them

SnowManSnow;1029656 wrote: plug -- ballasts -- endcaps

individual reflectors will make a big difference, instead of one big bent piece of metal around all of them

So 4 36 in reflectors instead of 2 72 in reflections is what you recommend?

You'd save a lot in bulbs if you run 60" T5's and just left off trying to light the ends. 60" tubes will light a 6ft tank just fine and your 12" longer so you'd only have 6" on each end a little dim.

DavidinGA;1029743 wrote: You'd save a lot in bulbs if you run 60" T5's and just left off trying to light the ends. 60" tubes will light a 6ft tank just fine and your 12" longer so you'd only have 6" on each end a little dim.

My tank is actually 7 ft long 84 in so if I did the 60 it would leave me with 12 inches not covered on each side. 6 on each side wouldn't be that big of a deal because I had low light coral in those areas

Back