T. Clams onion and experience.

tanks4life

Market
Reaction score
Ok everything is under control again in my tank. And I have finally gotten to the point that I want a clam.

I've been googling them for a few weeks and reading everything I can find on them but with such a vast array for colors and types I don't know where to begin and where to end. Lol

I will say that I've managed to keep my flame scallop alive for 8 months, and I have another bivalve of some type who has grown rather large in the last 2 years I've had him. He likes to move around however and from what I've read T. Clams need to stay put. Here is a few pics of my little buddy who started out as 1/4 inch little guy and is not 1 1/2 inches.
1d403c0f9984a5ad28b3692383ca2775.jpg
alt="" />
e7bbb9a650a7693b95d1ab70369b928c.jpg
alt="" />
1297e42fa299af4695382e7b858a66a7.jpg
alt="" />

Any thoughts? Or reviews? What's the best placement, water parameters, lighting, flow?

I know they get 70 to 100 percent of food from thier zooanthelle (sp) algea, I use leds and the tank is a 90 gallon.

I got two different clams. Not even really sure what they are. I know that one wants to set it's foot into the rock and the other is happy sitting in the sand bed.

I do know that they are calcium hogs. So you'll want to keep an eye on the calcium.
You can see that a clam is healthy by looking for a new, bone white edge around the opening. The mantle normally is hiding this but you can wave your hand over the clam and it should close up. In turn, reveling the edges of the shell. If it's got a bright white edge, it's growing and healthy. If it's not white, then move on. You don't want that one.

Also, get the biggest clam you an afford. The mortality rate on the smaller guys is really high.
I killed three before I got everything figured out.

My purple clam has been with me for almost two years now and the other, brownish guy, about 9 months or more.

They are filter feeders. So I do not target feed them at all. I do notice that they seem to get a little excited (can a clam get excited??) when I've neglected to clean the inside of the glass for a couple of weeks and I get in there and start scraping away any algae that grown on the glass.

They love that sort of stuff.

I do target feed a few of my corals and just sort of "feed" the tank as a whole for all the other creatures (fish and corals). The clams seem to be getting what they need from that.

Both of mine have about 1/4 inch, white edge on the opening and they've been growing nicely for me.

Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IrraLJzbk">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IrraLJzbk</a>

Perhaps someone can ID the clams that I have?
I've been told in the past but I've forgotten.

Following. Always wanted a nice blue maxima. I get cold feet every time I get the opportunity.

Me too. So I want opinions. Not onions lol from people who have them. And if I can keep these scallops and other clams alive I should be good for a t. Clam right? And I seem to always be on the high side of mag. And calcium so that is a plus for a clam so I understand

Tanks4life;998380 wrote: I seem to always be on <u>the high side of mag. And calcium</em></u> so that is a plus for a clam so I understand

Indeed.
The one I have that's sitting in the sand bed is a Derasa Clam. The one up on the rock is a Blue Maxima Clam.

I had to look them up again but that's what I've got.
The Maxima came to me from another ARC member. He was in that tank for I think two years before I picked him up. He's REALLY attached to the rock and I dread the day I have to move him.

The Derasa, simply sits in the bed. I've moved him a dozen times or so.

Both of them are 2+ inches.

After I killed off the first one due to pure ignorance of their requirements, I picked up another one. I thought (ignorance once again) that he was not happy where I put him and he was trying to move.

After that, I made sure that my parameters were where they needed to be to support a clam and that I understood where the clam would do best.

The Maxima, wants to bury it's foot in rock. I placed him about 1/2 way up from the bottom. Much like he was in his previous home. He rotates back and forth a little but he's been doing very well right where I put him.

The Derasa I learned would be happiest in the bed. So...that's where he's been. He's been happy and has always shown a nice white growth ring.

Again, I do not target feed them anything. Nor do I add anything to the tank, just for them. I ignore them for the most part and make sure that all the other corals and fish are getting what they need and the clams benefit from the excess.

Oh...Regarding the parameters go, I try to keep mine somewhere between the min & max on this chart:

picture.php

All my parameters are between the min and max. Except calcium and magnesium. I can't get the calcium to drop below 500 and the magnesium stays at an even 1450. I'm using the red sea test kit. I do water changes every week but I think the reef crystals are keeping it up so high.

All the corals seem to be flourishing so I imagine a clam would do well and possibly help me balance out the two. BTW I am not dosing anything at the moment.

Tanks4life;998515 wrote: All my parameters are between the min and max. Except calcium and magnesium. I can't get the calcium to drop below 500 and the magnesium stays at an even 1450. I'm using the red sea test kit. I do water changes every week but I think the reef crystals are keeping it up so high.

Drop a clam or two in there and that Calcium will drop. ;)
1450 is not too terribly high for the Magnesium. I wouldn't worry about that as much.

If everything else is between the min/max, IMO, you are ready for a clam or two.

Just keep a close eye on the calcium, alk & magnesium for a few weeks after.
While the clam and other corals do not consume magnesium in the same way that they consume calcium, it is a require vehicle so that the calcium can be consumed. Does that make sense?

Back