T5 Bulb question

SteveT

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. Feel free to send me to the right spot. I am going to be replacing some T5 Blues soon and wanting some input on your “best brand”. I have four in a T5/Halide setup and only replacing two at a time for “shock reduction”. What are your thoughts??
And yes I’m clear the LEDs are better, I’ve had them and loved them but finances…you know!

Many consider the ATI brand a good value bulb, especially their Blue Plus bulb specifically. It has a broad blue spectrum well suited for coral growth. They occasionally go on sale-

Just Google this- ati t5 bulbs
Then click the shopping tab

I've been a member of Club T5 since I got into the reefing side of the hobby, back in 2007. I'm not sure what I bought before. the past few times I have replaced the bulbs in my fixture, I have used wave points. I might try some ati's though, I would like to hear some comparisons of these to myself. Giesemans used to be considered the best, but boy would you pay for it. I would love a 6 bulb fixture with no leds, to replace my 4 bulb.
Chris c

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

First LEDS aren’t “better”… they are different. T5 will grow stuff and and do it well . Here is an older tank of mine from a few years back… everything was grown from frags under t5
e2acb490217405bba3030aa875413c2c.jpg

Now to your question
As stated ATI is great KZ also has some great lamps IMO.
My favorites are the ATI blue plus and ATI coral Plus lamps;)

I actually like t5quite a bit. I have an old thread here if it’s not deleted about a LOT of t5 lamps with pics with their colors and such for a reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thread is called “THE T5 Question and Answer Thread”

It has lots of par numbers with the lamps as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. Just FYI I am clear that LEDs are not actually better. I just knew that would be a comment somewhere. I have ran both and had excellent results with them. The coral growth under the T5s has at least been as good if not better!
Thanks again for the recommendations from all!

We use ATIs in our 4 bulb hybrid. Two Blue +, one Purple +, and a Coral +

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
I used to use that same combo, I swapped out the purple for an actinic in my hybrid’s, it’s just personal preference though as long as at least half the bulbs are blue plus . In addition to what @snowmansnow has linked there is a BRS video that compares ATI, Geiseman, and KZ bulbs for color and spectrum also that I found useful. I’ll have to read the old thread tonight. Sometimes I’m amazed at the amount of forgotten knowledge just within this forum.

Also, add we have HYDRA 64HDs as our LED component in the hybrid, so theres a lot of light on this tank

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

here's the thread with some par information if anyone cares

ATI Blue +
If you ever looking for cheap led strips that work- the budget versions are AliE strips as seen on Jim Telegraham talks online and MahinaCorals new lights available in October.

I was running two ATI blue plus and two coral plus. The coral plus is basically white. I can get all the white I need from the leds in my hybrid, so I swapped the coral plus for two super actinic(only because ATI true actinic were out of stock). I like the look of the blue+\super actinic combo. I did receive some bad ATI bulbs as well, which BRS made right, but for roughly the same price, I’ll stick with Geissman.

Just an update. I went with two blue plus, a coral plus and true actinic. Once all are swapped I’ll update. Again thanks for all the input.

Just to jump in here, if anybody feels like they wish they could test out some bulb combos before buying I have a handful of one year-old 24" T5 bulbs lying around that I'd have no problem letting people grab to play around with.

Back