T5 bulbs not turning out??help??

codywylie

Market
Reaction score
So 2 out of 4 of my t5 bulbs are not kicking on. I've changed the bulbs. These 2 are on the same ballast together .so I ordered a new ballast,other than is there anything else that could be wrong. It's plugged in and the switch is on. And there are no loose wires.. I don't want my tank to run like this for long. Please help arc...
1a5a2b49a28b5d878bddd30013e9d190.jpg
alt="" />
93bc16d1a281b58b27c8ca4104992b28.jpg
alt="" />

cody wylie lawrenceville

This is not a simple "tell you what's wrong" in a thread. If you're not an electrician and don't have a meter, it's impossible to describe how to check what.

That being said, if you are so inclined...you'll have to take the unit apart, plug it in and verify that you are getting power to the switch. If yes, step 2 is to turn the switch on and make sure power is exiting the switch. If yes, step 3 is to make sure that the ballast is receiving power. If yes, the it is most likely the ballast however, it could be a bad tombstone, the bulb not seating properly within the tombstone, broken line or bad connection anywhere between the ballast and the tombstones.

All the connectors look good. No corrosion or rust. The light is a year old. I'm going to see if the new ballast will do the trick. If not I will go buy a meter I suppose.

cody wylie lawrenceville

Have you tried swapping the lamps to see if the problem follows the lamp or the ballast?

I'd rule that out, just to be sure, but odds are it's the ballast. It happens.

Jenn

I have one, every now and then! :lol:

That was always the first thing I would check ... lamps are cheaper than ballasts.

Jenn

Make sure the wires step usher into the end cap all the way

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Back