T5 lighting questions

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
So here's the deal I'm completely ignorant when it comes to anything dealing with t5 lighting. When I started the hobby I started right off with LED. My question is can I use any fluorescent light fixture with t5 bulbs? I was thinking building my own t5 LED fixture but I'm just not sure what I can use as far as the t5. The hybrid setups seem a little pricey for what seems to be a bracket for an LED mounted to a florescent light fixture.

The T5 bulbs you see for sale from ATI or Giesemann are HO bulbs. You need HO (High Output) ballasts to drive them. Amazon has them.

What length bulbs and how many are you planning to use. With that info I can point to to the ballast.

I swear by t-5s, as do many I’ve met in this club. I’m going to soon be buying a hybrid t-5 fixture with the 48” reefbreeders proton v2.

Ok so all T5 fixtures are NOT created equal. The ballast / reflectors / cooling all will make a difference in what you get.

If you’re bent on making one then I’d go with icecap ballasts, very high quality reflectors and active cooling. You’ll probably want to wire in at least 2 switches so you can do a lower and higher light setting.

If you tank is beyond 16” dee I’d go at least 7-8 lamps. Use water proof ends:)

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear by t-5s, as do many I’ve met in this club. I’m going to soon be buying a hybrid t-5 fixture with the 48” reefbreeders proton v2.

I’ve had that strip in UV for a year and they are great

A lot of people like the look & results they get from hybrid T5+LED fixtures.
I am looking for uniform PAR, flexibility & great aesthetics, as are many others.
For those reasons I got the 24” Aquatic Life hybrid + 2AI Prime HD’s to go over my Innovative Marine Lagoon 50 EXT display tank, which is 30x24x16 (LxWxD).
I also have an Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 EXT for my frag tank. I haven’t decided yet whether to go with the same lights on this tank, as the footprint (24x20x12) is a little different and looks aren’t as important, but results are.
For the frag tank all options are still open. It might be convenient to stick with AI, as they are controlled with an app from my iPhone.
It would be easy & less costly up front, to go with T5’s. However, I’ll be in & out of that tank a lot more, so don’t want an obstructive fixture either.
Decisions, decisions... ;)

Back