T5 Lighting

acura_rob

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone Im looking to purchase more light for my 75g. Im currently running 2 T5 and two actinic, I want a unit with six or 8 bulbs. Any suggestions one which company to use? Thanks everyone.

Why not just add a retrofit kit? I don't think anyone beats the prices at reefgeek.com.

It would really depend on what you want to keep or are keeping. If it is more of a softies or a fish tank 6 will be okay. If it is LPS or SPS 8 at least. I've got 6 over my 58 gallon tank.

Retrofit kit from reekgeek will work as they can save you some money and offer versatility over a prefab unit. Aquantinics makes some nice fixtures. You can get them at aquariumspecialty.com.

I got a 8 bulb tek light and ati bulbs and this thing cranks out some light. I had to move my softies down to the bottom of my tank to make them happy.

Good light and can get it for 350 or so from Reef Tank Lighting with discount.

ATI powermodule is the cream of the crop. Aquactinics, is also a nice fixture. If those are a little pricey the Tek 8x54 T5's would work nice. A thread on T5's over on RC showed the ATI's got close to double the PAR of the Tek fixtures but theyre also about twice the price. Another important factor for the efficiency of T5's is active cooling. Fixtures that cool the t5 bulbs get much better performance, thats where aquactinics and ati are best. Just remember if you go with a Tek that overdrives or Icecap OD retro that you need to get some fans to make sure the bulbs dont get too hot.

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I wanna go with a fixture because i wanna keep the top open. MY hood isn't big enough for a retro kit.

Rob, hope all is still well with you. From what I have been told and read, the ATI fixtures (available at reef geek) are the cat's meow as far as pre-assembled fixtures. These are pretty expensive, but are probably pretty close to the top of the line fixture available.

Several people also have the TEK fixtures, and have very good luck with them. I would check both, and decide from there. But reef geek is a good place to start.

Whatever you do, I would suggest to sticking to all ATI brand lamps. Even though UVL and other manufacturers make some great lamps (I am using several ATI and UVLs in combo) Jin has told me that ATI seems to have a much more blue/white spectrum set than the UVLs which seem more pink. I can attest to this, as my tank definatly has a pink look to it, and Jin's tank has an incredibly perfect spectrum IMO. Just something to keep in mind, because even though you can do some switching to perfect the colors, the lamps are not cheap enough to just buy spares to keep on hand..

Let me know if you are gonna order anything from reefgeeks. I am needing some more lamps, and several other people may need them too, so we can arrange a group buy to minimize or eliminate shipping charges all together.

corvettecris, what's up dude? How are those classes going? Thanks for the info. Im gonna check out the lights you suggested, I just don't wanna have to get a second job for extra light..lol I should pick up a paper route then maybe I could get a 8 bulb unit.:thumbs: I love this hobby. Can anyone think of a better way to spend money?????

Classes are good. I'm really busy this semester for some reson, but I am taking 1 class less than usual. I'm glad, though, occupies my time.

ATI fixtures come from Europe and have been hard to come by. When I looked at them back in July Reefgeeks was telling me 8+ weeks for delivery. Aquatinics are made in the US and are readily available. ATI are considered the best with Aquatinics right behind them. Aquatinics recently redesigned their reflectors. TEK is suppose to resigning their fixtures as well. TEK will be your cheapest route other than DYI. Then Aquatinics then ATI. I've seen some nice tanks TEK lamps on them but you'll need to install some fans. Even with that said even with my new Fauna Marin that has active cooling for the lamps there is still heat built up around the fixture and I do use a fan to dissipate the heat.

Only real benefit to DYI is that you can mix and match reflectors. Some reflectors are better at spreading the light over large areas while others give better light penatration deeper in the tank.

Again any fixture or DYI you MUST have individual reflectors to get the true benefit of T5's.

ATI lamps are considered by some to be the best. But in researching this if come across several "studies" that showed different manufactures produce different results. Again the big advantage of T5 lamps are that infact you can mix different spectrums to create the color you desire. ATI, Giesemann, UVL and Aqua Science lamps are some of the most common manufactures out in the market. Then you have the KZ lamps sold at Einstein Aquatics. I just installed one of the Coral Lights New Generation and it really changed the look of my tank. I really like the lamp.

Over on Reefcentral there is a very long thread concerning lamp combinations. It is a good read if you have the time.

Here are some links for your reading.

http://archiv.korallenriff.de/Lichttest/T5-1.pdf">http://archiv.korallenriff.de/Lichttest/T5-1.pdf</a>

You need to decide what you want to keep and do some reading and research here on ARC and Reefcentral.

Good posts guys, I don't even see a need to chirp in :).

Interesting new KZ bulb. As for the aquascience bulbs... I've never tried them as they were really hard to come by in the states until rather recently. I might give them a try next march when I swap out my bulbs again.

I don't think the 4 bulb tek will be suffcient and the 6 bulb will be ineffciently sized.

I honestly think you should consider some halide options.

Yah I think 2x150s would be perfect. A few people run stronger halides as well but I think they require chillers. Brandon and Ralph both have halides over a 55s if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully, they'll chime in... if not send em PMs.

Ace - I would look at Current USA Sunpod with 2x150 MH and LEDs. They are 48" x 8.5" wide. Sam at Aquabuys could quote you on one.

Back