t5 people i need your help

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
well after selling my light setup i went all t5 i have 6 rows front and back are actinic + and are powered by a workhorse 5 .....the other four are being overdriven by a ice cap660 front to back i have aqua blue +,midday, pure actinic,and aquablue +, now my ? is how can i get this yellow look out of my tank or what would be the best light configuration for the way it set up thank you
victor

oh yeah i want the blue deep in the ocean look but still want that par thats why i am overdriving the bulbs

That's strange, Victor. I have exactly the the same bulb configuration as you (except one actinic+ is 36") and I have no yellow tint to my lights at all. You've seen them. I'm not overdiving my bulbs w/ an IC 660 ballast, though.

Would that cause the spectrum of the bulbs to shift?

It's the midday bulb that's throwing the yellow. I'm running one on a 660 ballast and it's got a yellow tint. I don't find it objectionable though. You can swap it out for a bulb with more blue, but you're trading PAR.

I don't know that overdriving the bulbs would cause the color to shift (but I'm certainly not an expert), but perhaps it causes the mid-day to be bright enough to overpower the blue bulbs?

You may want to switch the midday bulb to the workhorse ballast and see how that looks.

OK SO I WENT VIA PM WITH THE GRIM REEFER ON REEF CENTRAL AND HE SUGGESTED FRONT TO BACK
Actinic Plus
Pure Actinic
Actinic Plus
Midday
Aquablue
Actinic Plus
AND IT SHOULD BE ENOUGH PAR AND BLUE FOR ME I WANT TO HEAR OTHERS INPUT ON THIS THANK YOU
VICTOR

Annce The Work Horse Is Alright But Im Going To Change It For A Spec Ballast Or Im Going To Over Drive Those Not Sure With What Or If I Can

i think im going to keep it blind just for a back up they are cheap sam at aquabuys sells them for 25 bucks why dont you buy one new from him

Victor - Give it a few days for your eyes to adjust. You have gone from 20K ushio + atinics (very blue) to a much more neutral and balanced spectrum.

Fluorescent lamps supposedly do not shift spectrum when overdriven. At least this is what Ice Cap reports.

no sammy the water looked like someone pissed in it lol i changed one bulb out with a used pure actinic and it looks much better but ill see how it looks like tell wed.

Suprised your corals haven't gone on strike yet after the drop in PAR which had to happen after moving those MH lights. That was some MONSTER PAR from a setup.

Victor626nj;112543 wrote: OK SO I WENT VIA PM WITH THE GRIM REEFER ON REEF CENTRAL AND HE SUGGESTED FRONT TO BACK
Actinic Plus
Pure Actinic
Actinic Plus
Midday
Aquablue
Actinic Plus
AND IT SHOULD BE ENOUGH PAR AND BLUE FOR ME I WANT TO HEAR OTHERS INPUT ON THIS THANK YOU
VICTOR

i have the same set up except i have 8 lamps

to ge the ocean blue the Actinic plus needs to be 12k and the Midday needs to be 65k

or

the actinic plus needs to be 10k and the midday needs to be 3k

sagent3000;112736 wrote: i have the same set up except i have 8 lamps

to ge the ocean blue the Actinic plus needs to be 12k and the Midday needs to be 65k

or

the actinic plus needs to be 10k and the midday needs to be 3k
if i had an 8 lamp set up this would be much easier cause i could use more actinic and alos keep in mind i am overdriving 4 of these lamps

Cameron;112694 wrote: Suprised your corals haven't gone on strike yet after the drop in PAR which had to happen after moving those MH lights. That was some MONSTER PAR from a setup.
yeah the par at the top was insane but it wasnt that high as it dropped i m pretty sure i am getting the same reading on the way down .im just not getting 1700 at the top any more ...but ill keep you informed with another par reading here in the near future

Pure Actinic
Actinic Plus 12k
Midday 6k
Aquablue

i would try that set up and tilt the two ends into the middle and i think that will give you a nice blue color

sagent3000;112832 wrote: Pure Actinic
Actinic Plus 12k
Midday 6k
Aquablue

i would try that set up and tilt the two ends into the middle and i think that will give you a nice blue color
here is a config. i came up with and like ...that way you can see an example on how my lights are set up ..i might change it just a little but that if i dont like it my eyes are still getting use to not having the shimmer of mh so ill give it a couple days like this and get a par reading done
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
113236=6937-config i like for now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
113236=6937-config i like for now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="config i like for now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I am assuming those are Giesemann bulbs. If so the midday is yellow and the daylight is very yellow. I have seen a mix of ATI and UVLs and that shift more towards the white. I am hoping Sam will start carrying the ATI bulbs sooner or later as those seem to be a more prefered color over the Gieseman.

Back