T5 supplements or Illumagic Vitamini LED bars

sharis100

Supporting
Reaction score
So, trying to decide lighting for main display tank- we have 4 AI hydra 26s. This is going over a 187 gallon planet aquarium peninsula tank which is 25” deep.
Which supplements and why?
T5 like with an aquatic life hybrid set-up
Or
Adding two vitamini strips which mount directly off the hydras?
Thank you!

Until a year ago, I only ran T5s. On one of my tank, I upgraded the lights and started using just Radions. A month ago I bought a hybrid fixture so I could add some T5s because I'm not happy running just LEDs. I don't like the severe shadowing and and my colors just aren't where I'd like them so I'd suggest a hybrid fixture. I'd also like to add that I get to see a lot of different member's tank and everyone who's really growing nice and colorful corals run at least a few T5s if they're using LEDs at all. In my circumstance I was really hoping to convert over to nothing but LEDs but I'm just not convinced that's the way to go. There are a lot of folks who grow some great stuff with just LEDs but it's so much more common to see people running hybrids and that's the direction I'm heading.

I'm going with 3x hybrid fxtures from Aquatic Life, due to BRS evaluation videos I watched, & the one below is among them.
I went with AI Prime HD's on 2 of the fixtures and a Kessil 360we Blue on the other, again based on evaluations.
Why?
The hybrid approach will provide uniform coverage, growth & prevent shadowing.
The Hydras should provide plenty of punch, down to the sand bed.
The T5's will give uniform fill & soften the view.

I've run a ATI T5/Nanobox LED hybrid system on my current tank and my previous tank. I went with a DIY route both times. So total I've run these hybrids over 4 years keeping SPS, LPS, Clams, Zoas, Gorgonians etc successfully. I've tried Ecotech Radiums in the past really didn't like the shadows. Besides running Halides, I feel the hybrids are the best. There is a lot of info out there on hybrid systems.

Back