T5 users: How long is your photo period?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Just curious how long you guys that have T5 only tanks are running your lights. Mine currently run four at 8 hours, and four more for 6 hours in the middle of the first set. All are overdriven on IC660s and are a combo of four blue plus, two aquablues, one 10k, and one 75/25 I think.

Wondering if I should bump it up some.

I have 6 T5s over my 120G, 2 Super Actinics, 2 Blue Plus, 1 10kk, and 1 75/25; all on standard T5 ballasts. My tank is primarily softies and LPS with only two SPS that are near the top of the tank.

8:00am Super Actinics
9:00am Add Blue Plus
10:00am Add 10kk and 75/25
4:00pm Turn off 10kk and 75/25
5:00pm Turn off Blue Plus
6:00pm Turn off Super Actinics

2 @ 12 hours UVL Actinic & Fiji Purple
2 @ 11 hours Aqua Science Blue & Coral Light New Generation
2 @ 6 hours Aqua Sceince Blue & Coral Light First Generation

I'm running a Fauna Marin fixture over the tank. The lamps are not over driven.

9am Actinics On
9:30am 10K On
8:30pm 10K Off
9:30pm Actinics Off

6 bulbs not overdriven

corvettecris;225030 wrote: Wow, you guys are out-lighting me by 4 hours
I'm about where you are....7 bulbs-six of 'em overdriven--I run 'em 9 hrs and 6 hrs. I used to run 'em longer and dialed it back when I had cyano & algae problems--the critters didn't seem to care, so I left 'em alone.

I've got a mix of blue plus, aquablue, 1-pro-color, 1-midday..

what does over driven mean? Cause i'm thinking about doing a frag tank w/ t5

If you use Icecap ballasts, they'll send more power to the bulbs than what they're rated for.....a 54 watt T5 bulb will deliver 80 watts, for example. Also delivers more heat and shortens bulb life....

I have just a stock nova extreme pro 6 bulb set up.

at 10am I have 3 actinics and 1 10K come on
at 12pm the other 2 10k's come on
at 730pm the 2 10k's turn off
at 930 pm the rest come off and moonlights come on for the entire night cycle

I believe over driven is using different overpowered ballasts to run the bulbs rather than stock type ballasts correct?

I do just 6 hours of lighting with my primary par bulbs from 11:30 - 5:30pm. There are 4 overdriven bulbs, 2 blue plus specials, 1 ati pro color, 1 blue plus.

13 hours of lighting with the blue plus bulbs on regular ballast. 2 bulbs, 1 blue plus and 1 URI actinic.

Jin, I cant believe you only have Blue+, Blue+ Special, and Pro Colors as your PAR lamps. Everything looks so good. Benefits of a shallow tank I guess?

Also, I cant remember, but how often do you replace yours? I am just passing up my 4 month mark I think.

Also, kinda OT, but should I consider not OD'ing some of my my other lamps like 4 of the Blue+?

I've always replaced them after a year but I think that might be too long so I'm going to swap em at 8 months this time. I do have two bulbs in there that have been going strong for 14months. I'm swapping em tonight though.

When doing par readings I actually got more par from the ATI blue+ specials than the GE 6.5k. So, I think they make fine par bulbs and the blue plus is no slacker either. I haven't checked the par on the ATI pro color but I'll be looking into that today.

As for the blue+, you can overdrive them or not. It depends what you're using em for. They can server admirably as par bulbs but if you just want a lil blue color at dusk and dawn from em, then overdriving isn't necessary but prolly won't hurt either.

I got 8 T-5.

2 Blue specials and 2 75/25 from 10:00am to 10:00pm
2 Blue plus amd 2 Aquablue from 12:00pm to 6:00pm

Back