T5's Lights for a 90 gallon

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I've gotten 2 opinions from 2 club members whom I respect greatly and the information is contradictory. I need to get this light soon. I don't want MH's, just T-5's (while I save for that Solaris that I'll be buying in the year 2025).

<p style="text-align:center;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">T-5's = 6 bulbs or 4? </span>

4 would certainly be cheaper, but I'd like to be able to put anything I want into this tank.

6 might kill my softies.

Would you go with a 4 bulb unit and and would that limit you to putting your light-hungry hard corals near the top of your tank? Or,

Would you go with a 6 bulb unit and would that limit you to putting your soft corals in shaded areas?

Any and all discussion invited!! This is probably the most expensive investment I'll put into this particular system and I want to make sure I get something I don't need to upgrade later.

Discusion regarding a free standing/hanging fixture vs. retro-fit canopy also encouraged.

Thanks so much!!

~Linda

Linda, I can't speak for every type of softie, but I've got a pink finger leather in the center of my tank about 1/3 the way down (higher than some of the sps in my tank.) My 72 bowfront is lit my 6 T5 bulbs (5 48" and 1 36"). I've also got pink xenia growing all the way up the overflow, and mushrooms on the bottom. All are thriving and doing great.

There are some things that need to be considered when discussing T5s besides just the number of bulbs. The reflector(s), ballast(s) and bulb selection will determine the intensity of the light produced. Softies can be kept in a heavily lit T5 tanks but you will need to make some accomadations for them by placing them in shaded areas. If you decide to go with a 6 bulb fixture that has individual reflectors you will have the capabilities to keep any high light craving livestock (SPS/Clams) anywhere in the tank but the intensity of the light can have an effect on species that aren't as light hungry. I've seen softies and even some LPS literally melt under T5s. IMHO, a 4 bulb setup on your 90 will be more than enough IF the plan is to light it for softies. This won't preclude you from adding some higher light specimens (you'll just have to have them in the higher areas of the tank).

dawgdude;75262 wrote: I would go with the 6 bulb set up. My friend did 2 Icecap 660 with 6 bulbs and it looks awesome. One thing you can do also is swap out the bulbs for more actinic if it is too bright and melting your corals. Also I light acclimate anything that goes into my tank just because I have a very high light tank. I put them under an over hang for a day, then move them out onto the sand bed and then slowly up the rocks. My friend didnt light acclimate at first and lost a few softies but his Zoa growth went crazy and once he started light acclimating he has kept everything alive. He also went with the icecap reflectors which have extremely good output. I would suggest the TEK reflectors which are good but not the best output with 4 bulbs driven by the icecap and then the other two driven by another individual ballast. My suggestion is to always get the think you want first because its a pain to upgrade later.

I certainly agree IF the goal is to light the tank for higher light species. However, if the goal is to have a softy tank that's overkill. Besides the potential stress being placed on the livestock you are adding additional costs into the equations (electricity, more bulbs, IceCap ballasts) that aren't necessary.

if you only want softies then 4 bulbs should be fine. i would suggest 6 b/c you can always get a few bulbs with less PAR but with 6 you can change those out if you decide to go with more light intense corals.

i have a 95 gallon wave tank with a 6 bulb tek unit and individual reflectors on it. i have 3 blue plus, 1 actinic, 1 aquablue, and 1 midday for bulbs. i have been able to keep all types of corals in my tank. i have a finger leather and kenya tree sitting on the sand 23'' down. i also have zoas on the bottom up to about 8'' off the sand. i have a few acan lords, favia, and trachophylia also in my tank and all are doing well, not to mention my 6'' derasa clam which sits on the sand bed. mushrooms did not do so well if they were not under a partial overhang, but imo they are risky to have in your tank anyway.

On your other question "free standing/hanging fixture vs. retro-fit canopy", a retro in a canopy will give you more flexibility in light (pun intended) of your 4 bulb / 6 bulb dilemma. You could start with 4 bulbs and if you felt like you aren't getting what you wanted or changed your mind in regards to the livestock you'd be able to easily add additional bulbs.

IMO, I think softies are more tolerant of high amounts of light than we give them credit for. As long as they are aclimated to the more powerful lights and params stay constant, I think most will do fine under a 6 bulb retro w/ individual reflectors.

Big D;75246 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Linda,</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">What are the dimensions of the tank and what are you wanting to keep in it?</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">David</span>

The tank is a standard 4ft AGA tank
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">48x18x24 with a center brace</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">What I have now:</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">Zoas</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">Palys</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">'Shrooms</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">Plates</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">Frogspawn/Hammers</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">Kenyas</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">Xenias</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Rock Anemone</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Ricordia</span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">Candy Cane</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">(all seem to be doing fine under 96x2 pc's in a 33g)</span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">These will be moved to a 90g and what I'd like to add (eventually):</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">RBTA (or comparable anemone)</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">birds nest</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">clam(s)</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">cloves </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">suncorals (shaded area)</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">ricordia (protected area)</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Learning more about corals, but for now knowledge is limited. I'm researching everything and avoiding impulse buys. </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Goal is to be able to browse corals and not have the lights be a factor if I fall in love with one and want to add it to my collection.</span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">Thanks for all the input!</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;">

</span></span></span>

I don't personally use t-5s but a close friend has 6 4ft bulbs over a 46 bow. Everything in his tank is awesome. I did install 8 4ft bulbs over a 180 gal for a Dr.'s office and all of his corals look good as well. I probably just added to your confusion but I think the 6 bulb package would be better on a 90. JMO I could be wrong.

Go with the 6 bulb fixture.You can always just run 4 for awhile then add the other 2 down the road if you decide you want more light.

My recommendation was based on it being a softie tank. If the idea is to have a mixed reef then the 6 bulb setup is certainly going to give you more flexibility.

mufret;75293 wrote: My recommendation was based on it being a softie tank. If the idea is to have a mixed reef then the 6 bulb setup is certainly going to give you more flexibility.

My apologies for being wishy-washy. When I talked to you yesterday I probably indicated softies because those are really my favorites and what I have in my current tank.

But then Loren pointed out to me later..."what if you start seeing some hard things and just have to have them?"

So... I should probably think ahead.

Thanks so much for all your input!

:)

Linda Lee;75301 wrote: My apologies for being wishy-washy. When I talked to you yesterday I probably indicated softies because those are really my favorites and what I have in my current tank.

No apologies needed. Did you find the thread on T5s?

mufret;75307 wrote: No apologies needed. Did you find the thread on T5s?

No. I have little success using the search engine on this site or Reef Central. If you could share the link, I'd appreciate it.

:)

Here's everything you want to know about T5s but were afraid to ask!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1169341">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1169341</a>

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1120850&perpage=25&pagenumber=1">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1120850&perpage=25&pagenumber=1</a>

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1070612&perpage=25&pagenumber=1">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1070612&perpage=25&pagenumber=1</a>

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1032804&perpage=25&pagenumber=1">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1032804&perpage=25&pagenumber=1</a>

There's more but this is a good place to start.

The softies will be fine this is my tank with 2-400 watt metal halide/w leuminarc reflectors. My tank is full of softies and check out these PAR readings.
a>

cdub;75269 wrote: mushrooms did not do so well if they were not under a partial overhang, but imo they are risky to have in your tank anyway.

Linda, sorry for a little side track, but I'm going to be going through the same thing in the near, hopefully, future and I love mushrooms so I just wanted to ask why cdub thinks they are risky?

Budsreef;75451 wrote: Linda, sorry for a little side track, but I'm going to be going through the same thing in the near, hopefully, future and I love mushrooms so I just wanted to ask why cdub thinks they are risky?

He's probably referring to coral allelopathy.

Back