t5s or pcs

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
this is a random question that is eating my brain away.

since you can keep sps under t5s that means they have more output, right?

so what would be more powerful 4 65w pcs(1 reflector) or 2 54w t5ho(individual reflectors)

DISCLAIMER: i am not using this for my tank it is just pure curiosity.

t5 because they run cooler last longer and with an single reflector you can get better par......plus i have t5 ;)

that is what i thought. i never believed that they add virtually no heat till i actually touched a bulb yesterday and i was amazed.

well they do get hot especially if you over drive them just not so hot that you leave your skin behind like mh

well when i upgrade to t5s i wont overdrive them. also i found a nice t5 combo of bulbs that looks nice.

yea, when i put a mh over my tank for a day just to see i was amazed by the heat and how t5s put the same amount of light out.

i would have bought that retro i posted but it would have cost me 40 a month, alottt of heat also.

dude for your tank i would have gotten 150 watt mh alot less heat and i would have ust added a fan

it doesnt matter i have changed my plans to make the tank most covered in zoas, and ricordias since they are easy, colorful, and mostly cheap.

Four 65 watts PC lamps w/flat reflector will put out more light than two 54 t-5s with parbolic refectors. 260 watts vs 108 watts.

Personaly id rather have the two t5s with less PAR. Bulbs last longer = $avings. they take up less space.........

Roland Jacques;139366 wrote: Four 65 watts PC lamps w/flat reflector will put out more light than two 54 t-5s with parbolic refectors. 260 watts vs 108 watts.

Personaly id rather have the two t5s with less PAR. Bulbs last longer = $avings. they take up less space.........

yea but if you have the same wattage t5s will support clams and all but the pcs will not, do you see where i am getting at?

i think maybe we should test the par on each with brand new bulbs, anyone up for it?

Yeah, if you have 260 watts of T5 with parbolic reflectors vs 260 watts of PCs w flat reflectors. The T5s will have much more PAR.

To suport clams in a deep tank you might want to overdrive the T5s with IC ballast.

oh yea thats perfect, no i am getting a 2 bulb indivual reflector retro for now and then will upgrade IF i want hard corals(which i think are overated because of care and stillness)

I have two 265 watt pc on my 90 gallon and I support a gigas clam, colt, coral, zoos, anemone, frogspawn, xenia.

WILLIAM1;139709 wrote: I have two 265 watt pc on my 90 gallon and I support a gigas clam, colt, coral, zoos, anemone, frogspawn, xenia.
hey you work at magic dragon tatto right

Back