Talk to me about elegance corals

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I'm not blind. The elegance coral is a really awesome looking LPS. However I remember when I started reefing some time ago that it wasn't readily available because the survivability was VERY low. I even remember reading something to that tune in the old Julian Sprung books. Now, though, it seems I seem them on a fairly regular basis. So, whats the deal these days? Did something get figured out? Is it just me or am I seeing a lot more elegance corals on the market and in hobby tanks?

Any insight?

Thanks,

B

Pretty sure the Aussie ones do better than indo ones. From what I have heard the Indonesian ones usually came down with a disease that wiped out the coral. I'm not sure if that is still happening to Indonesian ones or not.

The one I have has been Hardy, went through a tank transfer, been moved a handful of times, always bounces back.

Funnily enough I ran across the expert on Facebook earlier today, he goes by elegance coral or EC on other forums.

They are absolutely stunning corals and theres no doubt they are difficult to maintain.  Mine lasted over 2 years and came to me though multiple tank transfers.  It grew too big for my tank and I was forced to sell it.  I would agree those that have endured through multiple tanks are the best bet for keeping it long term.

Todd Cherry (cherry corals) has been selling fragged elegance for over 2 years at swaps. Aqua cultured Indo. He says they are healthy healed and happy within 6 weeks. Longevity I'm am not knowledgeable about.

Back