Tangs in the same tank

gmanjeep

Market
Reaction score
I have a 120 gallon tank and currently have a 4-5 inch yellow tang and a 4 inch hippo tang who get along great.What are the chances of adding a powder blue or a Purple to the mix?:huh:

The hippo and the PBT may not get along given their similar appearance, especially in a tank that size. I would also think the purple and yellow are a bad combination given they are zebrasomas. I'd say a naso may work but your tank is too small for that. What about getting a rabbit fish or foxface instead?

You can do it but its difficult.

Print out hundreds of pictures of Yellow Tanks and Purple Tangs and PBTangs (in realistic sizes) and sticky tape them to your glass. Turn off your main lights and drop the PBTang in. Leave for a few days and see how things are going.

Please understand PBTangs are difficult to keep. They stress very easily.

If all is good, remove a few pictures at a time over the next few days.

I hope this helps.

Simon--at first I thought you were joking, but I do see there is a method to your madness!

Would not recommend it a purple and a yellow. I tried this after the meeting On Wednesday night after getting a purple from Sal. Waited till lights were off an yellow was burrowed in the rock.

My yellow tang was constanlty going after him so I had to take out the purple as my yellow tang is my oldest fish in my possesion at almost 3 years.

hmm. I have a tomini tang that is very pretty and he bickers with the yellow once in a while but for the most part they get along well. I also have a Naso but you would need more room for him.

I have a blue regal, yellow, tomini, and blonde naso in a 210. I did just pick up 5 blue chromis as I just like these guys since they typically swim in schools towards the top of the tank.

mike17kb;69048 wrote: Would not recommend it a purple and a yellow. I tried this after the meeting On Wednesday night after getting a purple from Sal. Waited till lights were off an yellow was burrowed in the rock.

My yellow tang was constanlty going after him so I had to take out the purple as my yellow tang is my oldest fish in my possesion at almost 3 years.

hmm. I have a tomini tang that is very pretty and he bickers with the yellow once in a while but for the most part they get along well. I also have a Naso but you would need more room for him.

I have a blue regal, yellow, tomini, and blonde naso in a 210. I did just pick up 5 blue chromis as I just like these guys since they typically swim in schools towards the top of the tank.

looking to get rid of that purple tang? I am looking to add another tang.

It is all in the order of presentation. You always put the wimpiest Tang in first, let him claim the territory, and then introduce another. I have a yellow, purple, naso, hippo, and sohol in the same tank, and NO aggression. If I put anything like a hippo in there now, the Sohol would kill it instantly (he was the most aggressive, and put in last).

jessezm;69007 wrote: The hippo and the PBT may not get along given their similar appearance, especially in a tank that size. I would also think the purple and yellow are a bad combination given they are zebrasomas. I'd say a naso may work but your tank is too small for that. What about getting a rabbit fish or foxface instead?

I have several tangs in my 210g including a sailfin, power blue and hippo. The hippo is at the bottom of the power structure with sailfin at top. I've had no aggression problems.

SShindell;69087 wrote: It is all in the order of presentation. You always put the wimpiest Tang in first, let him claim the territory, and then introduce another. I have a yellow, purple, naso, hippo, and sohol in the same tank, and NO aggression. If I put anything like a hippo in there now, the Sohol would kill it instantly (he was the most aggressive, and put in last).

and u have the other fish I am waiting to find and add to my tank. The elusive sohal. :yay:

I currently have 3yellows, 1 Hippo, 1 Naso, 1 Tennetti, 1 Ocean sturgeon, 1 Sailfin tang all in a 400gal plus a lot of other fish as well. They all get along great. You just have to watch adding them! Good luck

horsesziggy;69327 wrote: I Have A Couple Tangs In My Tank All Doing Just Fine,adding In Correct Order Does Help.

I think someone needs to go to Sal's and help him count! Last time I was there, there were a few more than "a couple" of tangs in that tank :wow2:

Yeah! is more like 10-15. But Sal knows his stuff and knows how to add them at the right time. :thumbs:

Ok, 6 Yellows,5 Regals,2 Uni-corns,1 Nasso, 1 Vlamingi,1 Purple,1 Powderblue,1 Redsea Sailfin,1 Sailfin.i Think That Covers The Tangs.

What would be the order for the following:
1 yellow, 1 Hippo, 1 purple, 1 Salfin?

I'm thinking:
Hippo, Yellow, Purple, Salfin

cmjazz;69381 wrote: Now how long should you wait for each one before introducing the next one?

Well you should wait a month or so atleast,not just for the fish's sake but for the tank to adjust to the added bioload.Of course I have not followed that advice several times,lol. If you can be patient enough then everything should work out well for you.Good luck

I disagree. with thye caveta that the tank can biologically handle the load (which is a good point 46), I say add as close to simultaneously as possible. This will "flood" the established fish with newcomers (so the beatings wont be so bad), and wont increase the odds of aggressive by the time you reach the last fish.

Back