tank drilling

jimsreeftank

Market
Reaction score
i am looking to drill a couple of small 10 gal tanks and a 55 to create a large refug and sump. i have an electric drill and a drill press and willing to give it a try. looking for some experiences on this.

Check tank for tempered glass. A battery drill set on the lightest clutch setting and then water for cooling and washing the glass dust out of the hole

eagle9252;813267 wrote: Check tank for tempered glass. A battery drill set on the lightest clutch setting and then water for cooling and washing the glass dust out of the hole

Ive done a few tanks ^^^^that pretty much sums it up. Gotta find the right size diamond bits and thats about it. Slow and steady dont push your not pressing threw it, your grinding the glass down. Let the bit do the work!

Be careful drilling 10 gallon aquariums. The glass is very thin and can chip/crack easily. Remember, no pressure, let the diamond tip bit do the work. It is also good to make a template and attach to the tank so your drill doesn't "dance" around when you first start drilling.

chuck the bit in the drill so that it will free soin with very little pressure applied. If you don't it will probably bind just before going through and crack it.

Tip: Use some plumbers putty or play-doh and make a ring around the bit, fill it with water. Much easier than having someone with a squirt bottle or hose around.

I drilled a scrap piece of acrylic first then duct taped it to the tank where I wanted it. This keeps the bit from wondering. Then I clamped the water hose next to it. As everyone else has said " no preassure".

Back