Tank fans: I NEED AN ADULT lol

destineyfoster

Reaction score
What's yall rec on a fan to cool the tank? Ours got to 82 today and APEX killed the lights till the tank cooled. I know 82 isn't a killer BUT I have sensitive inverts that I baby the hello out of. So, HELP!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Seven Master Aquarium Chillers, Fish Tank Cooling Fan System 2/3/4 Heads Wind Power and Angle Adjustable Clip On Chiller, 2 Gears for Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SGDX3KH/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Z5WZ9DWJ1VR6BGW04Y

I used these on my 55 with an inkbird 308 up until I lost a fan 3 wasn't cutting it. So I finally installed my chiller. They worked well for the last few years

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

I was curious about a chiller but I wasn't sure since we don't see massive heat indexes.

Just FYI: we have a 180 DT with 40B sump. So roughly 210ish gallons(when you factor in displacement) total

But this fans were ok but the chiller has been way more stable less than a degree fluctuations during the day

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk
The fans might work fine. For me the amount of money we spend on corals ect... A chiller would be a better investment if you are having problems keeping temps down

I agree with Steve - I have two 180 gallon tanks. 1 with a single pump, a single power head and a heater - that tank stays mid 70s no problem (to be fair, no lights either)

Our other 180 with big return, big skimmer / pump, multiple gyres and power heads, 6 led fixtures - this tank runs 80 - 82 this time of year. The tanks are in the same room about 6 feet apart from each other.

I have used 2 clip on fans over my sump with a powerhead in the sump to get as much surface agitation as possible - this should drop it a degree or 2 but it will take a while. Its also going to drive up your ATO consumption so be ready for that.

i use a ac infinity duct fan because it is extremely quite and the controller can be set to turn the fan on at a specific temperature or humidity setting, i would make sure if you decide to use a fan to have it pull fresh air in the tank not blow hot air out the salt water will kill the fans very quickly

You can always bump your house thermostat down a bit, cooler house mashed a cooler tank.

Fans work minimally on a large system, then evaporation becomes an issue with humidity in your house and added top off water.

Chillers work best for a system of your size. My system is around 250 gallons, my to gets up to 82 on a 90 degree day when my house ac can't quite keep up to my thermostat seeing.

I've been shocked at how well a simple clip on fan from Lowe's works. My systems are smaller but when I'm running fans the heater kicks on over night because it cools them off so effectively. For the investment, I'd try a small fan and see how well it works.

Clip on fans blowing at the surface does a lot more than you think it will.

Just be aware if you do buy a chiller,make sure to size it out properly. Too small and it runs a lot and your power bill is going to skyrocket.

But then again, my experience with chillers was needed on top of 1000 watts of Metal Halide..

Honestly for the price of a chiller you can do a lot of replacing older pumps with DC if that’s an issue:)
As folks have said a fan across the surface makes a surprising difference and would be my first experiment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also…. Try it blowing across
The sump first/) that has worked for me n the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap clip on fan will cool with amazing efficiency. I think lights are less of an issue than, say, UV or submerged skimmer (which I will take off line if temp gets high).

Back