Tank Maturation and fish

reeferjw

Market
Reaction score
I know there are probably multiple answers to this, but how long should a tank mature before adding a fish?

I have a 20g reef with different types of softies and LPS, as well as blue legged hermits and astrea snails, an emerald crap and assorted hitchhikers and pods, massive pods. So many pods that my wife says all the pods on the glass make it look like its algae on the glass.

Running a CPR bakpak skimmer, dialed in pretty well now, took some tweaking. Also have an AC70 that I modded into a fuge with Chaeto(Sp?), some feather caulpera, and red grassilera and LR rubble. For flow I have a MJ1200 with a hydor flow attached.

I set it up in August by combining two systems, this one that I purchased and my 3 gal.

I'd like to add a six line wrasse.

Thoughts?

As long as your water is cycled, you should be fine. Seems like it should be from what you have so far.

I thought I would be fine, but I had read that some fish need a mature tank. I just don't really know what defines a mature tank. It a cycled tank a mature tank? If they were one and the same you would think that they would be called the same, so I guess I am just being cautious.

Oh yea, I think I read that on some of the fish descriptions on Drs F&S.

ReeferJW;85383 wrote: I thought I would be fine, but I had read that some fish need a mature tank. I just don't really know what defines a mature tank. It a cycled tank a mature tank? If they were one and the same you would think that they would be called the same, so I guess I am just being cautious.

Oh yea, I think I read that on some of the fish descriptions on Drs F&S.

I think maybe a fish that specifically requires a *mature/established* tank is one that derives most of its food from the system itself (copepods, algae, etc.). A 6Line will accept prepared foods in addition to eating bristle-worms and such, so I would think you'd be fine.

Ok, I think I will have to swing by Optimum after work... thanks Linda!

i would reconsider the 6line only if you are planning on adding other passive fish later. the 6line can become aggressive if it has established itself when other fish are added. Just something to think about.

I might add a goby, maybe I will pick one up today as well. That would be all for a 20g I think.

I do owe those pics don't I Hanin? I will take some, but I doubt I can do anywhere near the job that I have seen from others here.(Disclaimer! haha)

Back