Tank Move

chuck

Supporting
Reaction score
Looking to get advice on a tank move. The new house is 45 minutes away. Just looking for some more opinions.

Lots of friends, lots of blankets, lots of straps, and lots of prayers. Aquarium moving companies charge eye-watering amounts of money to relocate tanks (3-5,000 dollar range) and are unfortunately not very reliable. If you have to go this route, don't go to Premier aquatics. Two nightmares in a row with them was enough for me.
Empty the tank of water and store animals in 5-gallon buckets with airstones (battery powered airpumps are available online). Remove the sand and either toss it, or be prepared to rinse it thoroughly in tank water before you put it back in. Rock should be placed with wet newspaper or towels (soaked in saltwater of course) and packed so they can't fall over and break apart.
Be prepared with plenty of furniture dollies (the ones that roll flat, not the tilting ones) and blankets to strap around the edges of the tank. using furniture plungers, lift the tank off the stand from the front and both sides and gently place it down on a couple of flat dollies to roll it out of the house. if it's in a basement, a sled can be made with a thick layer of blankets on the stairs and at least two or three people pushing from behind, with plungers on both ends so folks at the top of the stairs can grab on to get it the final bit up. when it's in the car, make sure it's flat on the floor and not against a wall without padding. Loose equipment like pumps and filters can be stored inside while moving, just make sure to pack everything to avoid scratches.
Same deal for the stand, pack carefully in a way that is easy to unpack.
When the tank is at the new house, set up the stand & sump as much as you can before you bring out the tank. Checking the level is the most important step here!!! I've lost two tanks by not leveling a stand properly, just 1/8" of a twist or tilt is enough to do it in. Now that the stand is set up and ready, bring the tank back in on dollies, and lift it onto the stand with the help of 2-3 other people. Slide it into place, hook up plumbing, and the hard part is over. Now you just have to set it back up and hope it looks OK.
My suggestion to you is to invite strong friends over and pay them with dinner or a couple of beers. Another option would be to coordinate something with club members from your area, perhaps trading frags or fish in return.

I hope this helps. After my own disasters, I don't want anyone to make the same mistakes I did. Good luck and God bless.

If you have the space I would set up a stock tank or a cheap temporary aquarium at the new house. That way you have water ready and you have a temporary place to put your rock and livestock when you get there. Then you're in less of a rush to move and set up the display tank and can take your time to do things right the first time.

if you can afford it, i will definitely setup the new tank now and let it cycle fast. i used the stock tank recommendation before for my tank move from main floor to basement and the swing was still too much and caused a lot of sps to die. you will need to move the livestock to the new tank over the course of some time that's appropriate based on how fast the tank has cycled.

I'm not sure what size tank you have Chuck but I recently picked up a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank from Tractor Supply for ~$110 shipped to my door. Great place to store rocks and corals while getting everything set up. That way you can use heaters, powerheads, and more than a 5g bucket full of water for everyone to chill in. I regret how quickly I set up my tank because of a move and wish I had gone the stock tank route.

I’ve never had to move but if it were me I’d cut whatever is fraggable and try to sell it before I’d move. Particularly the higher dollar stuff.
Bag up the remaining corals individually and put them in a cooler.
Empty the tank. Save as much tank water as possible.
Move the tank. Redo your rockscape.
Refill with old water. Top off if needed.
Let the tank run for a half a day to clear and then re-introduce the corals. Monitor all your parameters daily.

But that’s just me speculating. I’ve never done it before. And my way could end up being disastrous.

Back