Tank Painters.........

sj miller guy

Market
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone used to paint the back of their tanks black. Most of the research I have read most people use spray on black, but a few use roll on.

Opinions on methods and brands please.

I haven't done it, but the fact that Krylon Fusion spray paint is "reef safe" would make me feel better about using in for that application.

wbholwell;75665 wrote: I haven't done it, but the fact that Krylon Fusion spray paint is "reef safe" would make me feel better about using in for that application.

I believe that's the brand most people use. But considering it's going on the outside of the glass and I'm taping the rest of it off....it shouldn't be that big of a deal really.

I use regular rustoleum. I just roll it on... works well when you can't use spray paint.

I use paperboard (less than a dollar per sheet). Use good tape and you dont have to worry about limiting your buyers when the time comes to sell the tank.

I actually have a lot of experience with this, and didn't get it right until my fourth tank.......

Any spray paint will do, remember to mask the tank off and make it look professional.

DON'T GO WITH BLACK.... I know black is the common choice, but black is also a common color in many fish. To make the fish and corals POP, paint the back a <span style="color: #696969;">DARK GREY </span><span style="color: black;">. </span>

After 48 hours (cure time) use either a rubber glove or plastic wrap on your hand and evenly coat the painted surface with a <u>very thin layer</u> of tube clear silicone. You'll understand why after a year of salt creep eats away at the paint if you don't.

Even with the silicone covering the paint, you can scrape it off when you want by using a razor blade meant for scraping. I tried using a putty knife and made two noticable scratches on my tank, so be as professional taking it off as putting it on.

I only removed the grey paint because I needed to be able to view both sides of my tank, but this method lasted several years and looked good.

After

tsciarini;75674 wrote: I use paperboard (less than a dollar per sheet). Use good tape and you dont have to worry about limiting your buyers when the time comes to sell the tank.

I like this :) Seems to make the most sense as it is easilly undone. I may have to do this with my 55 now :)

I used black window cling or static cling vinyl since I can get it at where I work at. Takes less than 5 mins to cover the whole back.

I used Krylon Black... works like a charm and if you need it to be clear, it easily scrapes off with a flat razor blade edge. (Same w/ window tint)

I used a deep sea blue krylon on my FOWLR and it looks great (minus the hair algae and aiptasia)!

Try the dark grey color, it'll make they colors of the livestock so much more vibrant in contrast, and also switches the focus of the tank from the background to the contents....

I'm not hating on black or blue, it's just anything you put in that tank that are those colors will have to compete with the color of the background for attention.

I know grey sounds drab for a background, but thats half the point of a background. Its all about contrast </em>!

Make sure its a dark gray. If it's too light, it will do nothing, but if it's dark enough (without being black) it'll make the contents of the tank more vibrant.

Has anyone tried a mirror on the back?

Seems like it would it be nice to see the backsides of your tank inhabitants. Of course, you would also see the back of all your tubing, heaters, etc.

Linda just labored to try to cover up the mirror back ground on her tank. Supposedly it scared the firsh, although I'm thinking it was probably Loren.

I have a mirror on the back of the 155. It looks nice, and adds some light via reflection.

bzwaagstra;75951 wrote: Has anyone tried a mirror on the back?

Seems like it would it be nice to see the backsides of your tank inhabitants. Of course, you would also see the back of all your tubing, heaters, etc.

I have a mirrored back on my 25+ year old http://atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6828">Oceanic</a>. Fish were stressed, so I covered it with black plastic canvas. It's worked out really well.

[IMG]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/356/356865/folders/273278/2200942Mytank1.jpg alt="" />

I used flat black and then did a coat of spray on "rubber dip" it puts a rubber like layer on it the same thing as putting the silicone I also sprayed my metal stand with it to protect it from the salt water.

I rolled on oil based rustolium. I rolled it about 4 or 5 times. After 3x I used a light to see where/ if htere were any areas that I needed to touch up.

Back