tank pH remains the same...?

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
6/09/2019 ~5PM, I took out the SRO2000 skimmer and replaced it with Bubble Magus Curve 7.

6/11/2019 ~12PM, I added an airline that goes outside the window and connect it directly to the Curve 7 pump (bypassing the air silencer).

Before airline, the max pH is 8.17. After airline the max pH is 8.10. knowing the accuracy of the pH probe, I will say i'm getting the same pH with or without the airline.

That you're over 8 pH running the carx is pretty good. Sounds like the tank was dealing with co2 pretty well if the outside line didn't do anything to boost it, probably the fuge helping.

I'm having a hard time ever hitting 8. I'm looking into ways to off gas the effluent from the carx and have an experiment I'm going to try within the next day or two. I'm already trying kalk dosed at night and its still not having the effect I was hoping for.
Check out this article.

Running a refugium opposite of the tank schedule will help pull out residual co2 during the night which should result in a higher ph low point in the morning, starting out at a higher point should in turn give you a higher ph high point as well. Your refugium is currently competing with your coral for nutrients which is actually holding both coral and fuge back from thriving, in my opinion.

What's your reasoning for running the same schedule on both?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That you're over 8 pH running the carx is pretty good. Sounds like the tank was dealing with co2 pretty well if the outside line didn't do anything to boost it, probably the fuge helping.

I'm having a hard time ever hitting 8. I'm looking into ways to off gas the effluent from the carx and have an experiment I'm going to try within the next day or two. I'm already trying kalk dosed at night and its still not having the effect I was hoping for.
Check out this article.

I put my effluent straight in to my fuge, i never really noticed an overall drop in ph since I set up my carx.

Running a refugium opposite of the tank schedule will help pull out residual co2 during the night which should result in a higher ph low point in the morning, starting out at a higher point should in turn give you a higher ph high point as well. Your refugium is currently competing with your coral for nutrients which is actually holding both coral and fuge back from thriving, in my opinion.

What's your reasoning for running the same schedule on both?

There are some frags that I’m slowly transition to the main tank light.

I like the idea of running the effluent directly into the fuge. My system just has too much flow running through the sump and it sucks chaeto in through the bubble trap. I'm also tight on space so I'm running an ATS. It's lit 16hrs a day, mostly opposite to the main lighting.

We don't live that far apart Bobby. We need to check out each other's systems soon.

Check out this article.

Are you still running the CO2 scrubber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you still running the CO2 scrubber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I am. I haven't had time to test out off gassing the effluent from the reactor yet. I just have so much going on right now the system has taken a back seat a little.

Yes I am. I haven't had time to test out off gassing the effluent from the reactor yet. I just have so much going on right now the system has taken a back seat a little.

I had the same issue. Im running a calrx and my PH wouldnt go above 8. After checking this and that, I noticed that my scrubber media holder didnt have an oring or seal on the top. I got them used (regular BRS GFO reactor) so I didnt know if it's supposed to come with one or not. When shaking the canister, that holder would turn freely. I got an oring that fit in the indent and boom....PH went up to 8.15 in a few hours. Right now its sitting at 8.2

I had the same experience, plumbing my Skimmer air intake outside had little to zero impact on pH. Kalk reactor offsets the ca reactor impact for me.

Back