tank repair

photokid

Market
Reaction score
does anyone know of a glue that would bond glass to lexan or acrylic? i am trying to replace the

It can be done with dow corning 795 silicone. The stuff will bond to both glass and acrylic very well.

The problem is that it takes about 2 months to fully cure before its useable. :)

There may be other options...

i think plastic can take a few more holes in it than glass. my back pane of glass broke this morning flooding the house, so i am in kind of a anti glass mood right now.

Perhaps you should just get a 38 gallon acrylic tank from Glass cages. Its about 95 bucks. Since its a NP tank you don't have to worry about coralline and the added clarity will be a nice plus. Also its easy to drill... Replacing the glass is just not worth the trouble imo...

FutureInterest;134268 wrote: Perhaps you should just get a 38 gallon acrylic tank from Glass cages. Its about 95 bucks. Since its a NP tank you don't have to worry about coralline and the added clarity will be a nice plus. Also its easy to drill... Replacing the glass is just not worth the trouble imo...

95 bucks. Yea I agree about just buying a GC one. Good luck bro!

Goop, bonds great to both, but give it 48 Hours without any water contact. The down side is it's a little runny to work with, and if you every want to take it apart forget it, it drys very hard.

What a "NP" tank?

Be very careful trying to silicone acrylic to glass. Silicone does not bond to Acrylic very well. It works well enough if there isn't much pressure on it, I just wouldn't trust the bonding strength to hold the side of a tank on...

I wouldn't do it. Acrylic may be hardier with holes drilled, but those seems bonding the two together are going to be very weak.

Back