Tank Room / Flooring Question

darren24

Market
Reaction score
My wife wants to take the carpet out of my tank room / office and replace it with a "floating laminate wood floor". I am not familiar with these floors but evidently they snap together and sit on a thin piece of foam pad. Is anyone familiar with these floors and can they support the weight of a tank? They will be on a slab if that helps.

Looks fantastic, but it looks like you put tile under the tank? Good idea.

*oops, too slow.

Floating floors are really tougher than most people give them credit for.

My exwife put them down and they lasted for 10 years at least and her house is Grand Central.

However, if you look at the construction of the flooring you will see that snap together flooring is made out of very compact fiberboardish material and while it might withstand traffic wear and tear my guess would be that eventually the weight of the tank might indent the flooring.

I laid wood laminate glue down and it appears to be holding up fine but it has been water damaged.

With a floating floor I would be worried about swelling.

Perhaps you could look into a polished concrete.

Stay away from the laminates (ie: Pergo types), they dont take to moisture/spills. Their bast is HDF and will absorb moisture and swell at the seams... Engineered wood would be much more durable, or of course you can put down tile...

I had my 90 on them with no problems with close to 200 lbs of rock

The problem you are going to have is the water. Real wood is a better choice, Tile beller, and epoxy coated concrete is the best. Worse case senireo is that you have a leak while no one is home your laminate is ruined, you can sand and refinish real wood, you can mop tile and concrete. Basically laminate is pressed cardboard with a preaty coating that looks like wood.

Lust my .02$

I have done several rooms and bathrooms with laminate flooring. The stuff is great. Dont buy the cheaper stuff because if it gets wet the edges will start to peel up. Go to floor and decor to buy your stuff. I can lend you a hand getting started. Its actually very fun to do. Let me know.

Back