tank size advice

atlweb

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first "large" tank- the biggest I've owned was a 60 gallon previously.

With that said, what are the extras to consider when going for a 180 over a 120?

How much extra work / cost is involved? Other than an extra light and stocking, I can't think of anything.

also, what do you guys think the biggest tank you could get that runs on 2 lights (radions or MH's)?

I think a 180 is the perfect size. I have had a 120 and now a 180. Biggest expense was lights and the stand. Everything else I could have transferred from the 120. But I did go with a bigger sump.

I would think the biggest expense difference would be the lighting.

The skimmer, pumps, sump. etc for a 120 vs 180 probably wouldn't be more than $100 difference, but with lighting, you will definitely need a 3rd unit if you are running LEDs.

I have a 120 with 2 kessils, but if you wanted radions, you could do 2 radions instead.

Do you think a chiller is necessary if you keep your house at around 74 degrees in the summer and run LED's?

I'm trying to gauge the cost of a 180 (3 radions potentially no chiller), or 3 MH's w/ a chiller. I'd imagine it would equal out.

I may just have to get a 120 for an introduction to the world of big tanks, but I'd hate to regret not going a bit bigger and getting a bigger fish selection.

I would just invest in some fans for the sump first and see how it goes. It will increase your evaporation but at least you wont have to run a chiller.

I can tell you that a chiller is not necessary. I run 4 AI Sol LEDs and 2- 250w MH's over my 180 and I still have to run heat in the summer with a house temp of 74* (winter temp is 72*). I don't believe you can do a 6 ft tank with only 2 lights if you want any kind of corals. I couldn't even do it with 3 over my 180. At one point, I had 6 AI Sol Blues over the tank in order to light it properly.

In general terms...buy the biggest tank you can afford to operate in the space you have alotted. Your increased costs will be in salt and any other dosing chemicals because your volume has changed. If I had to do it over, I'd opt for the 210 over my 180 because it takes the same space and same equipment....just a taller tank.

Personally, I'd go straight to the 180. The extra cost isn't much compared to the price of upgrading again from the 120 to the 180. I'm trying to decide between a 180 and a 240 if/when we move. I'm thinking the 240 will just be too much because of the lights.

Agree with others that think you'll need 3 lights if you go LED. On the 120 it'll depend on if you go with a 4' tank or a 6' tank. 6' you'll need 3 LED lights on both the 120 or the 180. Only savings will be if you go with the 4' tank.

Back