Tank size question

saltwaterwannabe

Market
Reaction score
What is the largest 6 foot tank dimension, including frame?

I am preparing to build cabinets to house my water changing station and other equipment as part of a tank wall setup. I am sizing them to leave room for a future 6 foot tank upgrade and am a few inches short of having the desireable 36 + inch opening for 40 breeders on either side. I could build one side slightly wider to accomodate the 36 inch tank (also cited 1/2" over 36) but I want to ensure it does not appear unbalanced.

I see the largest 6 foot tanks are listed at 72.5 inches. Can anyone verify this is the entire width incliding plastic frame?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My 220 is 72-9/16 at the widest point, go a min of 73-1/2" so you'll have room when sliding the tank in place. It'll still be roughly a 1/2 on either side.
But if you ever want access to those front side corners from the outside you should go a little bigger, like 76".
For the top give yourself at least 10" over the top of the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You probably know this... but don't frame in the back of the tank bottom. Easier to slide in, and gives a little lee-way front to back if you need it.

Don't forget about the dream tank!! I purchased one and was on the way... Then moved the mother in law in and had to sell it.... no more man cave...

300 DD 72 1/8X36X 27 1/8

If I ever go to an 8 footer it will be as a peninsula or as a room divider. Not a likely option for the house I am in due to support interfering with the in law suite below.

I was lucky enough to get a great 'bonus' with my new house, there was an in-wall aquarium build in, it's not that big tho, but having a huge one comes with extra 'troubles', so I'm fine with that.

nickg;1115720 wrote: 72/12=6'

300DD is a 6' tank not an 8'.
Yessir. I am planning a 6 footer in a few years. If that goes well then I may up to an 8 footer someday, just saying it would need to be somewhere else and not likely in the next 5 to 10 years anyway. I am planning for a 180 or 225 upgrade in 2 to 3 years and am building a wall unit around my 4 footer, leaving space for an upgrade in a few years. My biggest want at this time is my water station to be next to my tanks.

You might want to leave room for the outside magnets that hold the powerheads, you can always frame around the opening.:D

FWIW...

If you leave enough space on the sides, you can clean the side glass much more easily (and do other maintenance tasks)

Back