Tank size question...

thedeper

Market
Reaction score
I have a 55 gal tank right now but am planning on upgrading here in the near future. I have a yellow tang now but do not want to overcrowd my tank with another one until I upgrade...but if I upgrade to say a 120 tank, but its still 48in long, would I be overcrowding with adding a any tang-sized fish since its the same length? I have seen many websites saying fish need 100 or so gal of water but would the swimming area not be basically the same, kinda maybe?

I guess what I am trying to get at is what fish would benefit from the extra width and height than the actual length of the tank?

Tangs need the extra length; they like swimming the length of the tank.

Yeah thats what I have read...I just didn't know if it would be practical to house 2 tangs, or maybe a trigger or something in a tank that is double the gallonage but same length.

I wouldn't put 2 tangs in it, but that's because I like my fish to be happy. What I mean by that is that they'll survive, but they won't thrive.

Another thing to take into consideration is the LR. The more rock you have, the less swimming room they have. So, a 120g tank which is 3/4 filled with LR is essentially a 30g tank (not really, but do you get what I'm trying to say?).

Yeah I understand completely. I was just getting an educated opinion on the matter before I upgrade my tank.

While I'm still new at this -- I have quickly learned the longer the better -- and in fact I wish my tank was even deeper. I have a 125 that's 72" long and 18" deep. I have two mature tangs (yellow and sailfin) -- they get along well and they love to swim - fast too. I would not put two in a 48" tank -- perhaps if they are small they'll do fine until they mature -- then catching them is problematic -- especially if you have much LR

Back